What is this calf pain I have been experiencing for nearly 11 years (since 16)?

Posted , 2 users are following.

At 16 I went on holiday to South Asia where I lost a lot of weight because I couldn't handle the food. I was there for a month and have no idea if this was in any way linked to my calf cramps but that's when it started. Note that every time I threw up there I experienced extreme numbness in my face and limbs and I still do until this day at age 26. Like if I cross my legs under me for 5 mins, if I lean back on my arm or elbow, if I put my hand under the pillow while sleeping, or if I sleep on my side I wake up with numbness constantly throughout the night. It's even worse when I am ill and throwing up, I get so dehydrated that my entire body is paralysed with numbness causing my limbs to twist in on themselves. My family were so shocked by how stiff my body became and I was losing speech because again my tongue was numb! It was new years day so the ambulance of course didn't want to come see when they were busy dealing with drunks (I don't drink alcohol by the way).

Getting to the point, since 16 I have experienced extreme pain in my calves. If I stand for 2-3 hours or more and then sit down it's only then I realise how much pain my calf muscles are in. The next day I stood for an hour on the train and the pain was even worse that evening to the point where I felt I needed a deep leg massage for days. I have been experiencing this pain for at least the last 10 years. Before the pain started I was always a walker and liked sports so it wasn't like I was suddenly straining my legs out of nowhere. I started to wonder if it was my weight so I exercised to go from a size 10 to size 8 but still I had the calf pain. I know I have flat feet so I always wear arch support but I can still experience the extreme pain from standing for long periods of time (I'm just thankful I have a desk job!).

The doctors never send me for more than a blood test and I am worried they might be missing something. I mean they have never even bothered to examine my legs. They hear my symptoms and dismiss them as nothing. Problem is, I'm young and can't even run to the bus stop without the pain starting up within the 30 seconds I run. It is making it really hard for me to exercise but I push myself throughout the excruciating pain. My calf muscles just keep twisting in on themselves, it spreads to my shins and I feel like my muscles are being torn! What should I do to make the doctors take me seriously?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.