What is this? Hair loss :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 28 years old with long thick hair. Yesterday when styling my hair I noticed a thinning patch if hair where more of my scalp shows. So when I part my hair there instead of a straight line there is a circle patch next to it. 

I am worried I am going to lose all my hair and this is the start of it. I go on holiday next week so can't see a doctor for 2 weeks. Is this ok or is it urgent I see one. 

I have a photo but don't know if you can attach it in here. 

Any help is appreciated x 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

it might not be that urgent that you need to panic about seeing a doctor straight away.

you could visit your hairdresser - they are trained in such things and might be able to advise if it is something to worry about or if it's just natural wear and tear.

• Posted

Hi

Itsounds like alopecia areata which I have had for 2 years but you should see a doctor to have confirmed as there other reasons for hair loss .It doesn't mean you will lose all your hair though it can progress but there isn't a cure as such but various treatments to try but I've not found one that works yet.Luckily for me my hairstyle conceals it unless it's windy.

If it is alopecia areata it isn't urgent as it doesn't affect your health but is emotionally upsetting I find.I think stress triggered mine but not sure as at the back of my head my hairdresser was the first to spot it. The hair follicles aren't dead so it can grow back but mine hasn't yet but some peoples do especially if the loss is small.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. 

Is there a way of knowing how bad it will get? The area isn't bald as in shiny and no hair there is is sort of thin hair there and I can't wear my parting straight as it is visible to see the white of the scalp. 

• Posted

Hello kirstynic,

Your description of round circle hair loss, quickly made me believe you may have alopecia.  That is a dead give away.  You probably have more than one circle on your head.  However, there may very well be other causes for your circle hair loss as well.  There are medicines for alopecia, and I would highly suggest you see a doctor that is qualified to make the diagnosis.  I would suggest further, however, when you see the doctor, do not make any mention as to what you believe your problem is, and allow him to come up with the diagnosis.  Of course question the doctor on all things you are not familiar with.  One of the underlying causes of alopecia is "diabetes".  Would recommend you have that ruled out too!  I should know - I have both.

Best of health your way!

• Posted

If it is alopecia areata there is no way of knowing how bad it will get.It can grow back and then fall out again or could get better or worse.Ive had for 2 years and have been to see dermatologist twice.I have  2 patches on the back of my head .... Not really circles and both have some hair but you can clearly see the scalp.For some reason the immune system attacks the hair follicles but why ?

No treatment has been found to cure it and it can grow back without treatment. One can have a wig while waiting for it to grow back .At the moment my other long  hair covers the two patches but may get a wig just incase it gets worse.

May try Minoxidil lotion but the information the dermatologists gave me is that the hair that grows is fine and not much use?Has anyone tried it and did it work?

Some people lose their eyelashes ,eyebrows too but I haven't.

• Posted

Hi Kirstynic, any updates?

I am 30s male and just experienced a small patch on the top of my head. Like you, I have thick hair, but this small patch has come out of nowhere.

I have done a lot of reading and the patient.info article suggests that 9/10 suffers only develop one or two patches, but more signficantly, in most cases it grows back within a year.

It has been on my mind a bit this, so I will be interested to hear of your experiences and how you are dealing with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.