What is this in my eye?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So a few months ago I had scleritis in my left eye and then uveitis in my right eye. Blood tests showed nothing, they think uveitis caused by protein buildup on my contact lens.

Stopped the stereoid a few weeks ago (been on since october -on and off) and now my left eye starts getting red again. Minimal pain, sometimes quite frustrating. 

Can anyone tell me what this is on my eye? I've been reading and I think it could be episcleritis? I have an appointment on 4th February, will go sooner if anybody thinks its an emergency. 

Here is a picture, thanks. 

http://i.imgur.com/BtfHbEz.jpg

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scott, are you wearing contact lenses?  I think you should stop and contact the clinic.

Red eye like that, can be anything, it can be uveitis for example.

I have had uveitis for so long, that I recognise the symptoms and telephone my Consultant's secretary, they generally see me the same day.

Dry eyes also cause red eyes, as does blepharitis, so you see the need to contact them!

Let me know how you get on and good luck.

• Posted

Hi

thanks for the quick response. I do not wear a contact lens in that I. I have kertaconus in both eyes but because my left eye is a lazy eye (the picture eye), they decided there was little point for a contact lense in tha eye. 

• Posted

I know that when my uveitis is flaring, my face feels as though someone has punched it but even then,  I don't always believe that it is a flare, so leave it.  My eye doesn't always go red.  I get flashing lights sometimes.

I have a supply of Dexamethasone - I always use Minims drops, they are preservative free - I had a flare about 3 weeks ago, so increased my drops [I have had to stay on a maintenance dose of one or 2 drops per day for years]  to 6 times a day and was able to see an Ophthalmologist on the day I telephoned.

I hope all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.