What is this rash

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started with really itchy palms a week ago, now i have come up with this extremely itchy red rash.  Some are on my feet, mainly on my hands and fingers.

I have suffered with hives in the past last attack was 2 years ago with facial swelling, but these look different.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have put some hydrocortisone on it and some calamine lotion to sooth it.

I have a cat.

I am also taking max does piriton every day to help with the itch.

My ankle is also very itchy

• Posted

Hi Katy

Try buying some Clotrimazole HC [clotrimazole and hydrocortisone mixed, it's the generic version of Canesten HC so a lot cheaper]

I would also look at your cat, [sorry puss!] Your ankle could be a flea bite.  It is the weather for it and cats [amongst other animals also have ringworm which is contagious.  Does the cat have any bare patches that perhaps s/he is licking a lot?  That would be a sign of ringworm, also easily treated, with a powder from the vet.  You might be able to buy it from Boots or similar these days,  I haven't had a cat for a few years now, so am out of date.  It's the time of year that animals get 'things'!

• Posted

Thanks for your help mrsmop, I have inspected puss and there is nothing on him what so ever and he is rather annoyed now biggrin

Thanks for the cream suggestion, I will look out for it.

The rash has spread to my tummy now but there are just small red bumps, trip to doc in order I think sad

• Posted

My two-cents worth:  looks like ringworm, which really isn't a worm - it is a fungus.  Have you been cleaning musty places lately?  Need to always wear gloves when cleaning.  I made the mistake of not wearing gloves while cleaning an old musty trunk - and made my hands/palms itch, so washed with handsoap and that didn't help, so I soaked in vinegar and then washed them with a harsh soap and finally in a few hours it went away.  Had me worried, though, thought I had rejuvenated a 'hundred-year old fungus'!  Don't put anything oily on those areas, as that allows fungus to grow better.  I believe the doctor would be best to consult and not waste a lot of money on stuff that doesn't truly get rid of it. 
  • Posted

Thanks Curious for your reply.  I was cleaning all behing the oven the other day and had the steam cleaner out.  

The rash has gone done somewhat now, my ear is red hot now with lumps behind it.

• Posted

Hi, Katy:

Do you think a spider or fleas might have bit you behind your ear?  We don't have any lymph nodes there to swell up.  This red, hot ear sounds like an allergy to something - and it usually passes when the allergen is gone.  I guess you could try Benadryl (use only a very small quantity of this, though, as the side-effect is getting very drowsy.  I think the red-hot ear is a separate issue from the itchy palms.  Let us know what the doctor says - and best of luck!!

• Posted

Katy, if you are worried, you should see a doctor or, at the very least a Pharmacist.  And, contrary to what you have been told, you do have lymph nodes behind your ear and for these to enlarge, there could be a multitude of reasons.

It could be that you were sensitive to something in your oven cleaner but, as I say, consult your GP

• Posted

Yes, we have 1 lymph node about an inch beneath and slightly behind the earlobe, The node is at the downstream-end of about 4 channels that deal with the area behind our ear and our eyes.  So, my statement that we don't really have lymph nodes behind the ear is a matter of symmantics - the node is beneath and behind the earlobe.  And, yes do see the doctor if it does not go away in a few days or gets really large quickly.  Hopefully, it is nothing more than an allergy, a bug bite, or a sore throat/tonsils swollen. (Tonsils are the largest lymph node in our body.)   My experience with a reddend, hot ear is that it is an allergy.  Could have 2 things going on at once:  the allergy & one of the above.  The pictures you show do appear as ringworm - but only the doctor will be able to diagnose for sure.  Hope you feel better and find out what it is, so you can avoid it in the future.
    • Posted

Thanks, Mrsmop,  I loved the site and video and have learned a lot more detail than I knew before!  I obviously over-simplified and did not know there were 4 nodes behind the ear... My education had only taught some of the key-marker nodes.  But, again, thanks for the link.  I love patient.info/health - and hope to explore more of it's information.  Hope we hear from katy40999 after she sees the GP.
  • Posted

Well this is my rash today, it seems like my hives have reappeared after a two year break, I am off to the GP tomorrow to ask for a referral back to the dermatologist, I seen her before but she was not much help. frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.