What is this tiny lump on the roof of my mouth?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi! Firstly, I'd like to make it clear that I am quite anxious when it comes to my own health and I am quite sure I noticed this lump because I often check my body for changes.

I visited a dentist around a year ago and after coming back home, I just checked around my mouth and by swiping my tongue around my palate, I noticed a really small bump. It felt like a grain of sand under the skin so I didn't mind about it and really forgot about it - until now. I had my annual checkup a month ago and again, I felt like checking my mouth myself too after the appointment. I checked my palate and felt the small lump there but this time (as I have become more health anxious in my 20s), I wanted to see how it looks. I couldn't see it in the mirror as my teeth block the view so I picked a smaller mirror and used my bathroom mirror with it see what's up there. I was chocked! I had thought it's just a really small bump but it actually looks like a real growth.

I was scared for two days straight thinking it is a malignant mass. Then I thought it might be a salivary gland stone so (anxiety strikes) I used my fingernail to push it really hard and it started bleeding as I broke the skin. I got more anxious and I actually made the mass retract from the palate and it was hanging there so I removed it completely. This was stupid as it hurt. 

Now it has been 3-4 weeks after all this and the are has calmed down. First it was really smooth but now I can see a new growth in there. I am afraid it's growing back.

Could it be something normal, such as a salivary gland or a cyst and the new growth in the are is just scar tissue? Would my dentist have noticed it in the annual checkup a month ago? He told me that my teeth are quite healthy and there's nothing on the mucous membrane of the mouth.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Here are pictures of the mass from a month ago and today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.