What is wrong with me? No appetite, lack of smell, breathing issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been ill since September when I had a horrible virus on holiday and couldn't swallow. On return to UK was

put on omeprozole, and treated for oral thrush. As still not better 2 weeks later was sent for upper gi endoscopy, all clear. Started to be able to swallow again, but very low appetite. Continued to lose weight and raised liver enzymes in my bloods so was referred to gastro team at hospital in November. Ultrasound clear, chest xray clear, bloods much improved,also clear for hepatitis and hiv, but referred for CT scan chest/abdo/pelvis or belts and braces, scary wait but all clear. Throughout this time appetite has declined further, but I am forcing food down every day to prevent further weight loss. At night struggling to sleep, and regularly coughing/feeling like I cant breathe, even called an ambulance out when it got really bad one night, they said my oxygen level was fine and it was a panic attack,but that doesnt explain why I keep snorting through my nose/struggling in the night when relaxed. Have been prescribed citalapram for anxiety, and back on omeprozole as GP thinks coughing may be acid reflux. Due to constantly ringing ears/popping ears, and a reduced sense of smell have also had ent nasal endoscopy and head/iam mri privatley, again all clear. So why do I still feel terrible 2 months on? Main issues are: still no appetite, reduced smell, burning sensation across upper back sometimes, feeling a non existat lump in my throat, and heaving most mornings. Doctor thinks my extreme anxiety through all of this is manifesting itself physically, but im far less anxious now and it is very physical what im going through, so it cant just be that? I dont know what else I can do, it is thoroughly miserable and I cant see similar examples of people going through this. Just want to be able to crave food, rather than force it down and live my life again. Any thought welcome, im fighting so hard but scared as I am not feeling better.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like toxicity from electronic cigarettes. Do you use those? Burning is a sign of nicotine poisoning. Electronic cigarettes cause apoptosis in the throat. That means cell death, which eventually leads to cancer. Liquids in e-cigs are lipid solvents and so they could be harming your liver.

Sounds to me exactly like toxicity from electronic cigarettes, for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.