What is wrong with my nails?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I have had this problem with my nails for a couple of years at least. It affects my two large toenails and one other toenail.

I haven't injured them and it seems to never grow out - my toenails grow quite fast yet they always look like this.

I have tried a fungal nail treatment and that has not worked - I suspect it isn't fungal either given that usually these don't last as long as this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, getting a bit sick of having such ugly toenails at the moment,

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

It is fungal and once the infection gets a hold it will lift the nail from the nailbed,which is why the white parts are getting bigger as the infection goes deeper. You need to use anti fungal treatment for a very long time...probably 2-3 years minimum,every day. Dont go for the cheap remedies. If you are in UK try the Nailner pen for as long as it lasts then go to Clear Zal which you can get from Amazon. Try to get the clear zal under the nail and dont use metal files to clean the nails. Keep them as short as possible. Alternate these treatments and you may find the nails reattach. Use on all your toenails as these infections can soon affect all your nails. You may have to use some sort of treatment for a very long time just to keep the infectionn at bay. Untreated nails will eventually die right back and you could lose the nails.

As a last resort you can take an oral medication for 6 months but the side effects are not good and many doctors dont like prescribing it.. You would have to take toenail clippings to be tested...your doctor can organise that,and then he/she may prescribe the oral medication, if you are considered healthy.

Wash all socks tights etc at 60deg minimum to kill the spores and dont wear closed shoes without a foot covering. Open toe sandals are ideal.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!

I always thought it was fungal but when I saw a pharmacist a few months ago she said a fungal nail wouldn't last as long as I said mine had... I don't think she knew what she was saying to be honest!

Thank you for your advice, I've just ordered the nailner pen and I'll order the other once I've got paid!

Hopefully I'll be on the start of my healthy nail journey and won't be needing the oral medication you described!

Thanks again 😃

• Posted

heather I suffered similar but it was not fungal have you had clippings sent off to see if any fungus is there.

I did. and none present. eventually I was diagnosed with yellow nail syndrome. we have a private group face book page if you want to find more info.

all the best.

lois

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I have not had clippings sent off, if fungal nail treatment at home doesn't work, I'll consider booking a Dr appointment and go from there, thanks for the advice!

From reading symptoms of yellow nail syndrome, I can't say any other than slight discolouration of a couple of my toenails ring true... I also think the colour of my nails looks more like a fungal nail than the images I've seen of yellow nail syndrome.

But I will take it on board and when things are a bit more back to normal, if the at home treatments haven't done anything, I'll visit my Dr and get an opinion, thank you!!

• Posted

I see it's been for a while, but what are the results? What is that? Because I've got the same yellow stuff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.