What is wrong with my toenail? Is it fungal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I noticed my toenail was like this perhaps a year and a half ago after being on holiday. I had asked someone and they thought I had damaged it. I don't recall damaging it so it's all a bit strange. None of my other nails are like this. Now it's turned a not very attractive looking yellowy colour and gone very thick and hard. The top layers are splitting and the nail doesn't seem to be growing out. It's not sore or anything, but obviously in the UK sandal weather isn't too far away (I hope) and it doesn't look awfully attractive. 

Should I be concerned or putting anything on it? Do you think it's a fungal nail infection?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It looks like a fungus. Have you asked your pharmacist?
  • Posted

Hi Theobee, it looks like nail fungus and I would recommend that you start treating it as soon as possible. Otherwise, the nail infection could reach the nail matrix and then it is much more difficult to treat without oral medication. Also, other nails might get infected if you delay the treatment. 

I will send you a private message detailing how I treated nail fungus using Lamisil cream. 

• Posted

I forgot to mention that it is important to use a different set of nail tools (scissors, clippers, files, etc) when trimming the infected nail. 
  • Posted

Nail fungus often begins as a small spot of white, yellow or green that appears under the nail, typically near the edge. This is often paired with an array of other symptoms that worsen as the infection spreads deeper below the nail. Ultimately, the fungus can affect the entire nail, including the nail bed – the area where the new nail grows from; this causes all new nail growth to be infected as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.