What is your experience of hardware?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello,

I had my ankle surgery on Jan 14 and the metal plate with 4 screws is to remain there.  I am still in pain but can walk with one crutch.

I am curious to know what are people's experiences and opinions on hardware?  Did you have any further trouble because the hardware wasn't removed?  What is best, keeping it or removing it?  Have you researched or dicussed it with your doctor?

Thanks,

Molly (UK)

1 like, 166 replies

166 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm from the UK too,

I'm still in my cast at the moment but did ask what the purpose of keeping the hardware in was and the disadvantages of getting it taken out. And didn't really get an answer for either.

My neighbour got his taken out because he could feel it and he's absolutely fine now. And I know someone who kept it in albeit a lot older than my neighbour and she has been fine with it. Although she did mention electric like shocks now and again.

• Posted

Chazma,

My doctor didn't tell me much either about why is good or not to keep the hardware.  

I guess we will have to wait and see.

If it starts troubling us might end up with surgery of removal and,

I don't like the idea of another surgery!

Get well soon,

Molly

• Posted

Electric like shocks now and again!? AHHHH! I haven't felt that yet.

• Posted

"electric shocks" sound like nerve pain.   I was on gabapentin for them after my surgery for about 6 mos, but it got better.  I cont to have twinges of them occasionally but nothing to be concerned about.

• Posted

Hi Molly,

I had my surgery on June 15 and I am keeping my hardware. But maybe in my surgery I have to. Mine is fine with the hardware. I even mowed the lawn yesterday with a push mower. It hurt when I did that. But it is good now. I have 11 pins and one plate . Good luck Molly. I hope that more people respond to you on this forum.

• Posted

Yvonne,

Glad to hear you are OK with the hardware.

I feel more reassured now :-)

Keep well and thanks for posting,

Molly

• Posted

So happy to hear you have done well.  I am about 6 weeks after you (July 29) and I have been mowing the lawn- w/ no additional pain unless I roll my ankle on the uneven ground :-(.   I would not get hardware out unless there were other issues!  I like the way you think!   My break on the fibula side was very low on the malleolus so the plate went really low and I have skinny ankles. - It cont to rub on shoes and it was constatnly like having a 'headache' on the bottom and near the top of the plate- hard to describe but it was sore to the touch and was always present.... so decision was made that it best to come out.  So far, so good- no discomfort since having it removed.

• Posted

Hi Jan

Thanks for replying back. Did your Doctor find out why the wound came back? I hope I don't have wound problems again, after my plate & screws are taken out next week. I've had enough of wound problems. Please let me know. And is their anything I can do to prevent it.  

That you know of?  I thank you so much for your help and concern.

I hope you healing fine these days!  Thanks again, Veronica

• Posted

Hi Molly, I'm also from the UK. I had ORIF surgery for Trimalleolar damage and ligament damage April 2nd, I'm obviously still in a cast. I however have an area of wound that isn't healing and when I saw my doctor last week she said if by my six week check it still hasn't healed then she will book me in for surgery to remove the hardware on the lateral Malleolar as she thinks that is causing the problem. I asked if there would be any issues with removing it and she said no just possible longer healing. However it has healed she will leave it alone rather than open up the wound again.

in one way I think I'd like it out as I've heard from people that they can feel it rubbing in boots etc. One lady I know had hers removed and has no problems.

i think we have to go with our doctors advice as to the pros and cons of surgery , as we all heal individually. However I wish the medics would share more advice and information. Thank goodness for forums such as this.

Hazel 🙂

• Posted

Hello Hazel,

Hope you are doing better than yesterday.

I understand you still have a cast.  Is it up to your knee?

Which part of it is not healing?

How long did you have this cast for?

Yes, people say they can feel the metal plate and screws

but I don't think I do although I continue to be in pain.

How one could know if the pain is caused because of the hardware

or if it is part of the healing process?

Progress is slow Hazel but  we keep getting better.

We are all on the same boat.  Let us know you are doing,

Molly

• Posted

Hi Hazel- I saw your message about your unhealing wound.  I had the same issue along my lateral side- it was the top 2/3 of it.  There was talk of doing a skin graft- and I was sent to an orthopedic doc that specialized in plastic surgery.  The ended up trying an Una Boot bandage- had it changed weekly for 3 weeks and it worked-  I was non wt bearing w/ the foot up for those additional 3 weeks, but it worked.  Best of luck to you...  
    • Posted

Thanks Jan,mare you in UK or USA? I'm just waiting for the six week check and pray the wound has closed but getting little pin pricks and discomfort where the open wound is so not sure if that's healing or opening. On antibiotics as a prophylaxis.

is your wound all's helaed now?

xx

• Posted

Hazel, I am in the USA.  It finallly healed but only after using the UNA boot.  it was the top half of the wound- I was never started on antibiotics as it had no signs of infection- just would not close.  it was very frustrating as i am sure it is for you also.  My scar is not very pretty, but that does not bother me at all (will be anxious to see after the stitches are removed from having the HWr)....  Take care and hope it is healing.
    • Posted

Hi molly, im 3 weeks after my op. Had stitches out a week ago where my consultant said he was happy with everything. back in 3 weeks to get cast off and hopfully boot with some light weight barring.  But since getting stitches removed i seem to feel the plate on the outside of my ankle, some days mor than others.  It is a horrid feeling and worried there may be something wrong? Has anyone else had this happen
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

I am on the 6th month op. I am not only able to feel, touch the plate and the screws, but also can see on of the screws underneath the skin. I am getting all the screws and plate removed in the end of June.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.