what jobs have you got

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have cs not as bad as some on here but when I get a flare up it is debilitating.My last flare up has so far lasted 8 weeks-5 of those I was unable to work, went back to work on a support plan which ends this week, next week I have to go back to normal duties which means I have to stand for 5 hours which I think will be unbearable for me at the moment- after an hour the pressure builds up in my head causing headache and my spine feels like it is in my head. My question to people is what jobs do you have with this condition?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela 

I've had cs for seven years and have been unable to work for 6 of those years.  I had a desk job when I had my first cs but I found using the computer, filing etc, aggravated the pain in my neck and arms.  I did try to continue to work and my employer was very sympathetic and gave me time off but I got worse over the year and had to leave.  I do not work now as I am in constant pain and have other medical issues caused by medication, but I think it may help to have a sit down job as standing for 5 hours could be very painfull, these days I can't stand for 10 mins these days.  I wish you well and hope you find a way to continue to work.

juliet

• Posted

It's awful isn't it not knowing what the future holds for us,I'm guessing I have had mine for a number of years had mri 1 1/2 years ago and awaiting another to see how much it has progressed, not finding any medication that works when having a flare up- and hoping that this is a flare up but going on too long. Apart from this site are there any support groups that you know of? I hope you have some pain free days. Kind regards Angela
  • Posted

hi hun ive got spinal stenosis and have had 2 lots of surgery in past 3 years first i had discs c4 c5 rplaced and fusion then 10 weeks ago had facectomy c6 c7 and nerve root decompression i was signed off work for 3 months and gp[ just signed me off for another 13 weeks my job is very physical housekeeping supervisor in a hotel for disabled guests, my boss wants me back but realistically i cannot do the job anymore and i am waiting to see my neurosurgeon and ask him what my future holds since the op ive had more issues bowel problems leg pain im not right at all at the mo im hoping if i cannot return to work im put on disability benefit as im living on 50 a week and i cannot cope i feel for you i have the head pain 24/7 its never gone im 47 feel my life is over sad xx
    • Posted

Hi Catherine I see your 47, I am 45 it seems to young to have this, I am unable to have surgery as I also have a disc bulging into an artery, I am hoping to have injections to see if I get relief from that, we just don't know what the future holds, and as this is classed as ageing cannot get any help. I hope you have some reassuring news from your neurosurgeon. Kind regards Angela
  • Posted

Hi

ii am also 41 and I'm terrified of the future as I have undergone every treatment available on the NHS in the last 7 years and gradually my pain has deteriorated and have developed problems from my medication so my quality of life is really bad now.  Surgery is not an option as I have a blood disorder that could cause complications and the out come of surgery is 50 50.

i really hope you have success with injections (sorry to sound do depressing).

juliet

• Posted

Don't be sorry- I have really bad days when I feel depressed thinking is this my life now! I used to be so active but really don't do anything now- apart from trying to work. I think the majority of people don't understand or think your making it up! Do you have different pains now and again that wernt there before?
  • Posted

Hi

the headaches have got a lot worse over the past couple of years and the pain travels further down my back now.  Like you I was active before I was an aerobics instructor and personal trainer for 9 years before returning to office work.  Now I struggle to walk up the stairs some days.  Due to being on opiates I have lost 4 stone and have nausea and bowel problems which leave me drained and unwell.  I always hope that medical science will come up with a cure.  If it wasn't for my family I think I would have given by now.

• Posted

I have been doing a bit of research and looking into manuka honey and cinnamon- have you tried this yet- probably won't help but maybe worth a go- take care of yourself and try to stay positive and I think family definitely help- my husband is a godsend x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.