What just happened ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am a 49 year old woman who just had a pap smear and pelvic exam, i had the exam as an annual wellness check

after putting my legs in the stirrups and moving to the end of the table my nurse ask me if i had ever been pregnant (which i have not) she was standing between my leg and inserted the brush used to scrape the cervix

(it appeared to me like a stabbing motion)

as soon as she "stabbed" me i heard a loud pop. she spun the brush inside me and took her sample but what was the noise i heard?

never had any thing like this happen

still having pelvic discomfort and feeling violated

#1 she stood (never had that before)

#2 the motion during insertion was like she was stabbing me

#3 the popping???

what could she have done?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to reply because I could sense your anxiety and know how that can dig at you late at night!

I was wondering about the process of a smear and the popping sound and wondered if it could have been the sound of trapped air which does make a popping sound once it's released under pressure. It could also be why you felt a stabbing pain- if there was air trapped because the person doing the test was very speedy and not taking care, they could have been so quick that air didn't get a chance to escape and if you've ever had cramps caused by trapped wind or gas, you may understand how much of a real and actually quite disturbing pain that trapped air can be.

Once trapped it doesn't get any smaller despite the tightness of a space (or increasingly smaller and smaller space because a medical tool was forcing it's way into that space!) It could easily feel like tearing or a sharp tightness.

Obviously I am not able to say with any absolution what happened, I was not with you at the time and only you will recall exactly what happened, and if you do experience any symptoms different to normal or you still feel upset by what happened, it is important to make your thoughts and feelings known, if anything it could even be useful. The person doing the test may have tried the "over in a flash before you have time to worry" type mentality but if this has not helped it is important to raise this as feedback if you can so things can be different in the future. You may be able to rise above it but if you were to consider someone new to the process, this could really put them off ever returning if they think this is how things are supposed to be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.