What kind of acne could this be?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I started getting acne since the age of 14 (I'm 20 now). sometimes it is severe and sometimes it clears out completely. from the past 2 weeks i'm having severe acne. it is big, painful and red. I don't know what type of acne this is. can someone tell me what i should do to clear this.imageimage

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

It looks like cystic acne, this can be caused by a hormonal imbalance. There are different treatments you can try, like antibiotics, the contraceptive pill (I wouldn't personally recommend this because of the side effects), isotretinoin and various topical antibiotics. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and have had acne on and off since I was 12. There are certain things that have helped my acne like giving up dairy, alcohol and sugar, also the sun can help or even sunbeds. Salicylic acid is good, it helps with the redness and infection. The product I use is called Paula's choice anti redness exfoliating solution, it is quite expensive but it is the best thing I have tried. It really helps with painful acne it gets rid of the spots much quicker and can prevent them becoming so big and sore. I have tried cheaper products with salicylic acid in and they don't really work the same. I think there has to be 2% salicylic acid for it to be effective.

You can also try laser treatment.

• Edited

this is cystic acne. it is an internal problem and you need to solve it internally. external care can help your skin but cannit completely resolve the problem.

• Edited

Pink , are you in Lockdown and maybe eating too much chocolate? That can trigger acne like this. If you are eating a lot ,do try to cut down. Acne after chocolate can last about 2 weeks before it gets better.

• Posted

yeah I ate too much chocolate and dairy products. I think that's why it got this bad.

• Edited

I recommend you see a dermatologist as they are the experts in skin conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.