What kind of bunionectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am considering surgery but feel very lost and uncertain.  At my last podiatrist visit, the doc said I could choose between an Austin or Lapidus procedure.  I am in my late 20s and, as far as I know, my feet have always looked just about this bad.  A podiatric surgeon said that it looks like my joints had formed that way.  Does this make it more likely for the bunions to come back?  Should I consider the more hardcore surgery options to ensure that they don't come back?  I am thinking of using another podiatrist so I have more options.  I would like absorbable screws, for instance.  Any advice would be appreciated--thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

How did you get that picture there I would like to show you my feet after surgery and my advice to anyone is if you feet don't bother you then leave them alone or make 100% certain you get reviews from your surgeon. Ask him how many surgeries his done also ask him in detail exactly what is going to be done on your feet and what your end results will be, tell him what your expectations are and how many surgeries were successful.

I've had my second unsuccessful bilateral bunionectomy. Before surgery I was told my feet could be fixed but today my feet are still not fixed I'm now 3months post op I still can't wear a pair of sneakers I also have nerve damage in my left foot incision.

So please make 100% certain before you go ahead and best of luck with everything

• Posted

Hi Dulcette which country are you in, I am English but live in Western Australia.  I have a large bunion on my right foot which I've had for years and keep putting surgery off as they don't do minimally invasive surgery here. They do it in U.K. Germany and America.I wouldn't havnt it done the old way which is very invasive and the success rate is not wonderful and such a long recovery time.  I keep checking to see if there any new operations.  The Boecsh Technique is done in UK and Germany and in America they do another one called mini tightrope surgery, both being a lot less invasive with a lot quicker and successful recovery time. I have thought about going to UK for the Boesch Technique which sounds wonderful in comparison to the old way  of operating.   

which is done in Sussex.You can check up on the internet.Eurpean Foot Institute and the mini tightrope bunion procedure. Let me know what you think.

• Posted

Hi Pamela!

I live in Brisbane and talked to 2 doctors' surgery, so I know for sure that they do minimally invasive surgery here in Australia too!

• Posted

Hi Beebs, When I did my checking up on minimally invasive surgery I couldn't find any surgeons in Australia that did it. It would be much appreciated if you could let me know which surgeons do this here.  When I say minimally invasive I mean keyhole surgery which is not as brutal as the old way.  Gosh it would be wonderful if there are surgeons here doing this  in Australia as I wouldn't hesitate getting mine done.   Could you please ,please post names and websites for me and others, that I am sure would be very interested too. Many thanks 

• Posted

If you google minimally invasive surgery Australia, they will all come up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.