What kind of doctor diagnoses Costo?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry for the ignorant question. I've been living with ti for almost a year now and I had a GP tell me it was Xyphoidynia sometime called Xyphoidalgia. But I think its Costo. I am not even sure what the differences are except with Costo there is shortness of breath.

I want to take it to the next level with a doctor but I am unsure WHAT KIND of doctor I need to go to to get to the bottom of this.....Rheumatologist ? Anyone can help? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

that is not an ignorant question and one that probably a lot of people wonder. My internist diagnosed mine. they can usually tell by listening to your heart it sounds scratchy. I had all the test to make sure it was not my heart including a breathing test. I do not have shortness of breath just the ribs hurting mainly when I try to sleep. I have had this for 15 months. Tried several medications and it seems that Advil liquid gel‘s help me the most .Good luck and it does help to talk about it especially on this forum.

• Posted

my physio diagnosed me with it! was sent to a pain clinic and was given my own tens machine to use.

• Posted

The tens machine should help some I also use my heating pad holding it to my chest. I used bio freeze cream and rub that on my ribs ! it works!

I take liquid gel Advil at night that seems to help some. Good luck o

• Posted

yes machine helped but kept getting electric shocks off it wen pads came loose! its the only treatment that helps as i am allergic to antinflamatories!

• Posted

your regular dr can listen to your chest

and tell. it sounds real scratchy! Especially when you take a deep breath and exhale.

The rheumatologist deals with the lungs and this has nothing to do with your lungs.

• Posted

YOUR primary care physician can diagnose costochondritis . I also got a second opinion from a physicians assistant. I have had it for 15 months and as a matter of fact I was at the doctor today for another reason and she listen to my chest and back and said ouch I know that hurts you still have a Costco

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.