what kind of doctors do you see with VA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm confused am I wasting my time with a urologist if this is more of a gyn problem?

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    I would say yes personally I saw urologist for two years and he was treating me for in Intersistal cystitis which it turned out I didn't have I then went to a gynecologist and she was no help finally found a urologist/gynecologist specialist… She was the one that diagnosed me with vaginal atrophy I did my homework on the Mona Lisa and talked to her about it and she said that she thought it was a very good idea but that they did not have the machine at her facility so she recommended me somewhere else. It's a long road. I wish you luck

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Yes; forget about the urologists; if you have atrophic vaginitis (which means the tissues of the vagina, bladder and the whole area you sit on are not getting enough estrogen. (This often feels like a urinary tract infection.) The tissues then get prone to infections, which have to be treated but nothing will improve until the tissues get enough Estrogen. See a gynecologist who knows how to treat it (not all do; they think its another yeast infection). Make sure you are given bio-identical estrogen ie the same kind our bodies make- either as pills, patches or a gel. Also you will need estrogen locally ie in the vagina a few times a week locally, like Vagifem. Often reproductive endocrinologists who are well versed in menopause are better at dealing with this than gynecologists. You dont necessarily have to be in menopause to have this; it is just a result of low estrogen. Once you have the right estrogen, the condition responds very well. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up