What kind of hip/lower back injury is this and how do i fix it

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I have been having this pain in the lower left hip/lowerback for a month or so now and I am starting to get very frustrated as to how it does not seem to want to go away...

I have set my mind to do whatever it takes to fix the injury as it prevents me from doing any sort of heavy lifting in the gym, and obviously the first step to fixing the injury is to identify exactly what it is.. I figured at first it must be some sort of deadlift injury, perhaps I have been lifting too heavy, with bad form maybe (unlikely though as I do use a belt and focus on form). 

But thing is I do not get pain when copying that sort of deadlift movement, for those not familiar with what a deadlift is it is basically picking up a weight from the ground and lifting it up with your arms/back/hip while maintaining a straight back, and like I said I have no problem doing this sort of movement

What gives me pain though are these very weird movement of my leg, for example I do boxing sometimes and when I move around the bag hitting I feel sharp pain in the lower hip/lower back every now and then when I move a certain sort of way, now I have come to figure out what does trigger the movement is me pulling my left leg backwards, not lifting it up backwards but actually having my left leg foot on the ground then sort of trying to pull the ground backwards, whenever I put that sort of pressure on that leg it gives me incredible pain in that spot that has been bothering me...

I have never heard of an injury like that and I am ready to go visit a doctor for this but I wanted to write a few posts on forums just to see what you guys say and think first, in case this sort of thing can be fixed through light strech and rehabing on my own

Sorry for the long text and thanks in advance for all help

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Make sure your spine is ok, no impingement. If ok look to see that your hips are loose, your psoas muscle and piriformis are loose. I think I could have avoided lumbar fusion if someone looked out of the box at the way I walked, the height of my pelvis, exercises to increase strength in the areas where I was weak and over compensating in other areas.  Look at finding a pt or chiro that thinks out of the box and look at those muscle groups and see how you feel in 1-2 months. 
  • Posted

Don't know if a regular doc can help with this.  They always prescribe an anti-inflammatory and rest.  Not much help, although that can be part of it.  For me, I ALWAYS go to my chiropractor.  Last time, I had an incredibly painful hip pointer.  Doc said pills and rest.  My chiro. touched one tiny spot on my back (QL muscle) and the pain just shot to my hip.  Problem identified.  Massage and some Voltaren Gel (topical anti-inflammatory) for a few days and it was gone.  Think chiropractor...they know all the trigger points.

• Posted

I am not sure what your problem could be but don’t have surgery if you don’t have to.  It could lead to more severe problems like it did for me.  Prior to my first lumbar back surgery, which I wish I had never had, I also had severe neck problems.  I had tried everything and I decided to go to one of those chiropractors that do manipulation instead of adjustments.  I though it was a joke and a big waste of my time but I went.  To my surprise it actually worked.  I have not had neck problems since.  To be honest I would give them a try for my back and left leg problem but there aren’t any in the small town that we live in now..  take a look at this website it is the place that I went to when we lived in Henderson NV.  Just remember that it can’t hurt but it just might help if you can find one of these doctors in you area.  nvspine.com  They don’t pop but they adjust that small bone at the very top of your neck, after taking X-rays of course.  It sounds hooky but it works, I sound like an ad lol.  Just make surgery your last option and only if you absolutely have to.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Stop.  You can't rule out surgery...you can't rule out ANYTHING.  And surgery doesn't make things worse.  

You need a definitive diagnosis.  Start with a chiropractor, least invasive.  A good one will evaluate you and tell you if they can or cannot help you.  Need a good one who will tell you the truth. The next step is an orthopedic surgeon and finally a neurosurgeon.  I've done them all.  The only time I needed a neuro was when I had a bone spur literally crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4.  A decompressive laminectomy and removal of the spur was the only fix and worked GREAT!

You take this one step at a time to figure out what's wrong...ROOT CAUSE...and then get it fixed, no matter what the cure.  Do NOT let people scare you off to surgery if that is the real fix for you.  However...right now you're a looooong way from that decision.  Start with the least invasive way of diagnosing your problem and then climb the "ladder of care" until you find your answer...whatever it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.