What mattress do my fellow sufferers find the best

Posted , 6 users are following.

I currently have a firm mattress which is combination of springs with memory foam top. I am getting worse in the mornings and think my mattress is contributing to this. I know we suffer with movement more after waking but I am really struggling with pain and stiffness so much so I cannot do my toilet needs or get dressed until I have been up and about for a couple of hours. thinking of changing the mattress to a soft one and wondered what other people find best

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hiya, I know where you are coming from with this. Have recently had to change my mattress to a much softer one. The thing that I have found to be most helpful though is a mattress topper. The one I have is made from synthetic material and is so soft and warm, I have found it very helpful for my joints. I usually go for natural fibres wherever I can, but the pure wool ones were so expensive, but if you have the budget, it might be worth comparing the two. Hope that helps. Best wishes.

• Posted

thank you. I already have a topper on the mattress but even with that and the memory foam in the mattress I'm struggling. I think I will switch to a softer mattress like you and come away from firm

• Edited

i have the same problem and i recently hurt my back moving stuff . it It took me over an hour to get out of bed because my whole body went into lockdown and I’ve been more or less like that ever since so I get I get your pain and I ended up in hospital and still nothing they can do and I have a firm mattress topper I do go into my other room and I have a son because I have a spare room that has a soft mattress and I do find sometimes it works but you need both not just one mattress really good luck xit took me over an hour to get out of bed because my whole body went into lockdown and I’ve been more or less like that ever since so I get I get your pain I ended up in hospital and still nothing they can do and I have a firm mattress with her topper I do go into my other room and I have a because I have a spare room that has a soft mattress and I do find sometimes it works but you need both not just one mattress really good luck

• Edited

I could never sleep on a firm mattress. I am in search of the perfect topper myself. I spent 600 dollars on a Cuddle Ewe Wool mattress topper. I have been wanting one for years and finally got one. It is nice and forms to my body but then it flattens out. We have to take it off and shake it and turn it around. If anyone knows of the perfect mattress or topper that is not too soft but supports perfectly and envelopes you like your sleeping on a cloud, let us know!

Yes in the morning my back and hips are killing me lately too. That is definitely from what we are sleeping on. I have ordered and sent back so many toppers its sickening! Maybe getting this word out we can ask other fibro sufferers what they sleep on. 😃

• Posted

we have a touring caravan and when we are out with that I sleep on a large airbed in the awning. its the best sleep I get. the fresh air helps but the way the airbed supports me without hard pressure is great. its just not practical to have an airbed up permanently when you're at home. 😔

• Edited

morning to you all, just a tip , my consultant said that a weighted blanket can sometimes help. I didnt want to buy one before trying this out, have lightweight duvet and then on top have put heavy bed cover. Have been doing this for 3 months now and I am definately getting better nights sleep,

keep well throughout this horrible time,

christine x

• Posted

I have been hearing so much about the weighted blanket. Does it make you hot though? I dont want to be too hot and sweaty when I sleep, but I do love that idea of a weighted blanket. Thank you

• Posted

I'm not sure about weighted blankets either...I toss and turn all night trying to get comfortable and get very hot and bothered in the process, so I don't quite understand what the advantage is. Funnily enough I am always cold during the day, whatever the weather! This whole fibro malarky is such a pain in the you know what.....meh!

• Posted

lol I hear that! I am the same....our "barometer" is messed up....weighted blanket may be good in the winter...I don't know

• Edited

Hi good to get your reply, hope its a good day for you, re- the blanket I didnt purchase one in case too hot so I leave a fairly heavy bed cover on over my duvet and it really seems to have helped especially with the spasms in the legs, hope this might be of some help,

best wishes Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.