What medication can help with my sarcoidosis and insomnia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Medical issues: Sarcoidosis, Stage 3 kidney disease, Anemia and chronic Hypertension and insomnia. I'm trying to found others who may have any of my issues and see what medications works best for you. Or if anyone in the medical field that can answer some questions I have. Currently I have a bad kidney infection and was put on keflex (antibiotic). Been taking it for 3 days and feel worst then I did when I went to my urologist. The pain in my lower back and bottom of my stomach is so bad that I'm vomiting. No appetite and is experiencing insomnia. My blood pressure is ranging from 189/130 and I'm always cold. It feels similar to flu-like symptoms. Should I go to the emergency room?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You should seek emergency care any time you feel " too sick, too scared or have too much pain". I always advise this to patients. If you have to ask the question then the answer is proabaly "yes".

The drug you are on is very hard on the stomach. Please speak with your pharmacist as you may need to take it with food or stop taking it. It also has an Antabuse effect meaning even the slightest amount of alcohol can make you deathly ill. It is one of the better antibiotics for kidney and bladder.

Let us know how you progress with the infection and then we can talk about the other issues. Too many things going on it seems. I am so sorry that you are so miserable.

Take Care

• Posted

Amein, I both sympathise and empathise with your situation.  

I have CKD3B and difficult-to-treat hypertension.

Are you sure that you have a "kidney infection" rather than a urinary tract infection? I ask because Keflex is usually prescribed for a UTI, especially of E-Coli origin.  I have also just completed a course of the same antibiotic for an E-Coli urine infection.  My prescription was labelled Cefalexin but it is also called Keflex.  I have had a dreadful experience from an extended 3 days on this drug, ending up being ambulanced to hospital over the weekend with diarrhea together with blood from the bowel.  I was horrified to be told on admittance to hospital that I should not have been taking Cefalexin (Keflex) for so many days as it belongs to a class of drugs called Cephalosporins and such drugs are known to have the potential to cause the horrid toxin C. Diff (Clostridium Difficile).  The hospital kept me in, doing frequent urine and stool checks and to monitor me for a couple of days.  When they found that my kidney function had just lost two points but then stabilised, and the diarrhea was easing they decided to discharge me.  This was BEFORE the stool result came back from the Lab!  Two hours after arriving home, a Dr called from the hospital to say that the stool result was back from the Lab and showed that I did in fact have C.Diff as a direct result of taking Cefalexin, and asked me to return to the ward I'd been on to collect a prescription for another antibiotic to be taken for 10 days.  I am so angry and upset to know that I have succumbed to such a serious infection from a medication when I had always thought that C.Diff was purely a hospital acquired disease.  I now have a list of medications that I am allergic to.

Please do seek immediate advice - from A&E if you are in the UK or the Emergency Room if you are elsewhere.  The vomiting and painful stomach that you are experiencing are listed on the NHS website as symptoms of C.Diff.  Of course, this may not apply to you but you do need to seek urgent medical advice.  Lots of good luck wishes - I do hope you are better soon.  Please come back and let us know how you get on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.