What medication ,gave you help with ptsd.

Posted , 2 users are following.

​Just give a simple answer like, diazepam, venlafaxine, olanzapine etc. your contribution is priceless, many thanks on behalf of everyone with symptoms of ptsd.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy

I have not been following discussions of late but I read your post this morning and I felt the need to reply.

You ask about medication with regards to PTSD like diazepam, venlafaxine, olanzapine and more.

Well there is no  real  direct and simple answers as everyone's  case is different. What is good for me might not be helpful to you.

I have two traumas and have been on medication for decades. Diazepam is given for anxiety conditions whilst the other two that you mention are anti-psychotic drugs. I have been on all three.

I would recommend that if you are taking diazepam 5mg or 10mg three times daily, for example, you need to know that you can be addicted to it long-term. Comming off high dose diazepam can be very hard, worse than

stopping heroin in lots of cases. However it can be very useful too if taken carefully.

I suffer  various other mental health conditions and at the moment I'm on Quetiapine 300mg, Venlafaxine 375mg, Trimipramine 200 mg  and diazepam 20mg daily.

As I don't know your symptoms re PTSD (eg sleep, anxiety, depression, night terrors, flashbacks, panic attacks) it is harder to state what drugs you might find helpful.

If sleep and/or drepression is troubling you I would recommend Trimipramine, brand name Surmontil. At the right dose it can be extremely beneficial. No sleeping tablet that was prescribed to me was any good but Surmontil a (tricyclic) has helped me so much. In fact, i don't understand why doctors do not make more use of it. It's been available for decades.

Venlafaxine is helpful for a lot of mental health problems including PTSD, as are other groups of drugs known as SSRI's. Consult with your doctor or similar for advice.  

If your doctor thinks EDMR treatment might be useful for you Andy, it might be worth trying it. However in my case I regret having it and would never have it again. Do a search to see what others think. I hope this post is of  some benefit Andy.  God Bless you,

• Posted

​Hi John, thank very much for your reply we have so much in common, you made me feel realy happy ,knowing that im not on my own! may God give u a humungus blessing,take care bro, Andy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.