What medications do you use? Are they expensive?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have rash on my face and have to use a medicine called ketaconozale. Since whatever this is on my face is persistent i may have to use the medicine for longer than expected. Once i stop using the med the rash appears to come back. I can see myself using this medicine for years until it no longer works. How do you guys manage the expense of medicines? Do you have to quit using because you cant afford?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What have they diagnosed your rash as? Was it a dermatologist? What are your symptoms? I had an allergic reaction that caused my dermatitis due to surgery. I work for a plastic surgeon and know a lot about skin but I would need to know your symptoms, age, any health conditions?
  • Posted

As caroline4862 mentioned above it would be helpful to describe the symptoms you are experiencing. These could be for example the location of the rash, if the skin is dry and flakey or red and inflamed, if it is itching, if the skin problem is continously present or if it is recuring from time to time. It would also be helpful to know if you have sensitive skin or if you have any pre-existing contact allergies. Also has it been diagnosed by a dermatologist?

Ketoconazole is used to treat fungal infections and also seborrhoeic dermatitis. You can read more about this skin condition here:

https://patient.info/doctor/seborrhoeic-dermatitis-pro

• Posted

Correct. Without some sort of diagnosis or hint I could not help. BUT I have one of the most sensitive skin types ever. However I also have anxiety at times and I stress a lot. When my diet is good my skin is so much better and I do not flush. Otherwise, depending on what I eat my face turns bright red and chest for a couple of hours after I eat. It is a bad cycle with anxiety/diet/depression that people do not understand. The GI system is linked to our nervous system which in turn can cause so many stress reactions and our skin is one of the first to react. I am just saying sometimes you might need to look outside of the box at your lifestyle, diet, other types of doctors. I am a nurse BUT have worked under an aesthetician and plastic surgeon and have learned so much in regards to skin and found out my own problems it's amazing if you do research and try in regards to diet it can do wonders. I am not a doctor nor do I down play a diagnosis but I had always looked for a diagnosis to my problems and I found that I have been creating them. I am a 25 year old with no health issues besides depression/anxiety. And I know you are miserable but you have to keep researching (not diagnosing yourself or you will drive yourself crazy)

• Posted

I think w/ medications it's going to come down to how good your insurance is. I've come accross a couple medications that were still very expensive, but my Dr. provided coupons to take to the pharmacy, which helped. Do you think the ketaconozale is working? That is an antifungal. I would recommend trying Derma E - Tea Tree & E Antiseptic Creme. It is all natural and works as an antifungal. It's affordable and can be found and MANY stores.

• Posted

The rash on my face started off as a simple discolored dry spot by my nose.. over 1 and a half years it spread over the bridge of my nose to the other side. Just like over night once i got to the year and a half point. and its basically dry skin that continuosly peels and is red and inflamed and im black. so it looks really weird. I have no pre existing allergies. and i was also on a vegan diet for like 3 years. Once this happened i lost faith in eating healthy because it did not prevent this. So im also going to debunk the whole eat healthy lifestyle. I ate no meats only fruits and vegetables for years.  
  • Posted

What you describe sounds just like a steroid cream withdrawl reaction - but this is antifungal...do you apply it or take it orally?

See what else your doctor recommends. This isn't going away completely and it's spreading, so how long should you keep using somethine so expensive to your wallet and possibly your skin?

Raising a son with Coeliac Disease and food allergies and my own deficiency in B12 is an eye-opener: What's healthy for one person is NOT for another. Find your own "healthy" by checking for allergies and deficiencies and attending regular check-ups. smile

Of course, that's not really what you asked - so to answer: We do buy what seems expensive if needed. We find room for it, but we've been lucky so far - after six years of having to over-spend on my son's epi-pens, our insurance is doing the right thing and covering it now! And, the one cream we spent $250 for did nothing - which was both frustrating like mad and a relief!

We stopped using steroid creams on my son's eczema. Three different doctors disagree with us but we're changing allergists in October (soonest appt) and will re-evaluate then. In the mean time, he's eight and has only gotten worse so we don't feel the risks are worth the rewards, because the only reward is following Doctors' Orders. It's been years since he's had a remission...

My other son had a spot on his face and the Dr. prescribed steriod cream. It went away - then came back worse & this repeated for a few months until I stopped the medication. My husband suggested Desitin Creamy (diaper rash cream that worked really well when they were babies) and darned if that didn't help! That's when I also pulled steroids out of my younger son's routine.

I wish you luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.