What medicine has worked best for the people treating in with Meds?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on Toprol XL but I would like to try something different maybe a different Beta Blocker like Bystolic. What is your experiences

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm on metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice daily its controlling my svt well. not a good idea changing beta blockers because it will take time for your body to re-adjust to a new new med. but also keep in mind that all beta blockers have side effects

• Posted

I am on Metoprolol Tartrate ....I think it helps to a point...I can’t go higher than 25mg twice a day because it makes me too sluggish...I still get  SVT episodes that I can break on my own and 0-2 episodes per yr I end up in the ER. 
  • Posted

The reason I ask is I have been on the long acting Toprol xl version 50mg for a long time but I get dizziness standing and it has been getting worse, sometimes I am talking to someone and I feel like I need to sit down. Maybe the short acting twice a day would help or a medicine change. Also the people being treated with Meds how come you decided against ablation
    • Posted

the problem with the slow release it will peak at 50mg at a certain time of the day and it will hit you hard you could reduce the dose back to 25mg but you may you may not control svt's, if I was you go back to your doctor and get a prescription for metoprolol tartrate and start on the lowest dose of 25mg twice a day which each dose expires after 5 hours it starts to work after half an hour this way you'd get a lower dose and prevent & stop svt's at the same time. I have mine 7am & 7pm, I have low blood pressure and I still don't get dizzy because it doesn't drop my blood pressure & pulse by a huge amount this way your having a lower dose.  which your body will tolerate better. after every dose I keep active in case I get side effects. the main side effect I get is tiredness & a bit of a drunk feeling, sometimes I have an extra metoprolol between doses if I go into a big svt but that rarely happens. my doctor doesn't want to increase my dose due to my low blood pressure

• Posted

I would definitely talk to your doc about the dizziness, see what he thinks about switching meds or  taking the short acting twice a day like you said. I’m just not ready to have an ablation...I’ve heard everything from it was a success, it didn’t work, I have to have it done again...so I’m not convinced it’s the right choice for me, plus I don’t feel like it interferes with my life enough to find another option besides meds. Hope that helps. 
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice, yes I am torn on the Ablation. I would like to get it fixed but it just seems like a very anxiety provoking procedure. I am scared of the episodes that won't go away but I need to try and relax about it more.

• Posted

Hopefully people who have had an ablation will reply...because they may set your mind at ease about whether or not to have one. 
  • Posted

Verapamil, the calcium-channel blocker, is working quite well for me at the moment. 360 mg per day. I take it with Atenolol. 50 mg per day. It's a pretty heavy combination, but it's the only combination that keeps my SVT under control, most of the time.

Also consider supplementing with Magnesium. I recommend Magnesium L-Threonate. Helps me a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.