What medicine to take while under anxiety disorder and panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had panic attacks and I've been suffering with mild anxiety. My doctor said not to take anything that has congestion. Also, she said to stay away from medicine that claims to treat multiple symptom. She said to stick with plain Robitussin cough medicine.

However I have read online that taking Robitussin is bad. What are your suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi joey

If you've had panic attacks and you also suffer mild anxiety and your doc knows this

I don't understand why she wouldn't treat you with a proper med

I don't know what cough medicine is supposed to do exactly I doubt it will help

For panic /anxiety as I've never heard

Of that

• Posted

sorry! I meant to say that I had a cold and I have a cold. I was wondering what I medicine I can take for the cold
    • Posted

Lol you know after reading your post

A few times I started to work out

That the cough medicine was not

To treat the anxiety .... Silly me

What meds do you currently take ?

• Posted

Hi Joey I'm guessing your GP is steering you away from antihistamines as they make you drowsy especially on top of any other meds.

Suggest throat over cough sweets and a cough mixture re on ended by your pharmacy. N 

• Posted

Anxiety occurs when a person's capability to get relax ..disturbs. As we know that it is a mental disorder and i believe that solution is also there in the mental relaxation techniques.

Drugs and all can give you relax for some time. But for long time relief you need to strong your mind first.

• Posted

I have always taken plain Robitussin, and I am still alive. I do not take any with added medicines in it. The DM makes me very anxious. For some reason the decongestants with a D added to them, make my heart race more. Listen to your doctor. She is not going to give you something to make you feel worse. If something does make you feel worse, let her know immediately. Hope you get better!!
  • Posted

If the Robotussin makes you nervous. You can try natural stuff. Like I believe Honey or vigin coconut oil is good for a sore throat. Sailine spray they sell over the counter for your sinuses and it is just salt water but does help. There is so many home remedies if you look it up online. Garlic I also believe is a good one my daughter uses. But I just couldnt try it. She eats a whole clove of garlic so many times a day. If you google it they will have information on it.
  • Posted

I also do a lot of home remedies. As Valerie said. I also breath steam from a pot of boiled water. This helps to loosen up the mucus in the head and chest. I run a humidifier in my room. Honey is a natural antibiotic. Hot liquids like an herbal tea with honey in it is good also. I do also use Vicks vapo rub. 
    • Posted

Just make sure to drink plenty of liquids. Warm is the best, because it clears the airways. Saline spray for nasal congestion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.