What might cause prostate enlargement symptoms that come and go?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a male approaching 50. For a while I've had some symptoms of prostate enlargement - such as weak flow and getting up to urinate in the night. At one point I was up 2 or 3 times a night, though it settled down to once a night.

Then I suddenly started getting "dribbling after peeing" which lasted maybe a month. Then it all went away - the dribbling and the getting up in the night. Now not only didn't I have to get up in the night, but even when I woke up in the morning I was in no rush to get up and pee - I could have a lie in. So cool, I thought, problem solved.

But after a month or so it's now it's back - both the getting up (once a night every night for a week) plus the dribbling.

"Enlarged prostate" seems like something that gradually gets worse with age, and maybe slowly gets better if you take some kind of action to fix it (maybe vitamins, healthy diet or whatever) - but it doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that should come and go.

So is this normal? Could it be something else with similar symptoms?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hello.

I have the same issue of sorts

but my issue Comes and goes

frequent urination.

it last a week than is gone for many weeks.

My doctor put me on flowmax for the issue

worked ok but made me tired so I only take oxybutynin when this happens.

some natural supplements work

saw palmetto twice a day.

but you may need to see your doctor

to get a psa , dre and see urology

• Posted

GO to BPH what to eat and drink sites.You can take a ultrasound test to give you a estimate of your prostate size.Herbal remedies are good but get the good ones.

• Posted

My symptoms were like that when I was about 50. When I hit 52, it got consistently worse. Lots of tests since then, but bottom line I have no cancer, an enlarged prostate of 70cc, with a protruding median lobe. The variable symptoms are probably a result of the protruding median lobe; I believe the urologists call it IPP, Intravesical Prostatic Protrusion. The expanded lobe acts as a "ball valve" on the urethra; some nights, the position you're sleeping in puts the protruding lobe just in the right place to "close the valve". Other nights it doesn't. Even now, with my symptoms more consistently bad, if I wake up with an urgent need to ps, but can't get anything to come out, all I have to do is walk around for 5-10 minutes, and it's like it "opens the valve", and I can ps freely. Of course a brisk walk at 4am makes it much harder to get back to sleep.

• Posted

really great observation and question; perhaps the reality is much more complicated than the model which explains prostate symptoms by enlargement alone; for example, there is a turn in the lower colon that is set against the prostate; perhaps a weakening in the colon wall there could tie prostate symptoms to digestive issues which can often be intermittent; I believe a study recognizing the link between OAB and IBS first appeared in 2014 which suggests how recent inquiries that counter the standard model are

• Posted

I think inflammation caused my bph symptom.I had total retention and vasculitis at the same time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.