What natural treatment helps with your AS Inflammation and pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I am newly diagnosed and new to this group. My rheumatolgist says I am in beginning stages of AS. MRI also shows I have fusion in my neck (C2, C3,C4,C5). I have decided to not take Humira or any other biologics. I am in search of a more natural AS remedy. Some nights it is hard to believe this is just the beginning stages because the pain is so bad. I get sharp, shooting, tearing spasms on the back side of my rib cage. Does anyone else experience this? (Laughing, sneezing, and simply moving wrong can set it off throughout the day too.) I already take my max dose of Motrin per day and sometimes a muscle relaxer but am starting to take Turmeric daily and eat an ant-inflammation diet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm with you on the "no biologics" thinking...

• Posted

Tonyinthe 603, Yeah. It felt like biologics was the only form of treatment my rheumatologist wanted to offer. Have you had any luck with other forms of treatment?
    • Posted

Same thing with the piles of rheumies I've been to... it was supposed to be "led by you".... little did I know my only choices were WHICH biologic I wanted to take...

I have used LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) with a significant amount of relief. That and a starch free diet have been the biggest helps for me...

Hope that helps!

• Posted

I have gone to Medical Mariuana. When I was first diagnosed with AS two years ago my weight was at 230. Asolutely no appatite. My latest weight is 193, but has been stable or a while. With the Medical Marijuana I`m able to eat again.

It also helps with pain,but doesn`t last as long as standard pain killers. I do still take the Humira with mixed results

Best of Luck

Hickory

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion hickory. I am so grateful people have access to medical marijuana. It was just de-criminalized in my state for recreational use. (It's about time!) Medical marijuana rx has been legal for some years now. Unfortunately, it just does not work for me. I mean... it does. It takes the pain away. Marijuana is an excellent pain killer but I don't like what it does to my thinking... or my inability to think while I'm feeling the effects of it. (Everything slows way down.) I tried an indica dominant strain recently and my pain subsided but I was just so forgetful and out of it. Are there any strains you would recommend that give you a body high without the head trip?  

If you don't mind sharing, what have been the mixed results with taking Humira? If you would rather PM me that is fine. Thanks again.

• Posted

To me, the Humira is something I tried when I had a bad reaction to Remacade. I tried pain pills but couldn`t stand the side effects. The pain pill lasted longer but the Marijuana did the same without the side effects.

One of the side effects was an increase in my appatite. On the Oxys, I went from 235 to 193 in 4 months.On the MM my weight is stable and my pain tolerance is much better.

• Posted

Hey. I'm newly diagnosed too and right now I don't want to try any meds. I'm taking turmeric twice a day and pro biotics. Plus magnesium oil which has been a huge help for the muscle pain. And I take fish oils with vitamin D.

I've heard a lot of good things about bone broth and Apple cider vinegar too.

I'm doing yoga daily, trying to stay positive, keep stress levels low and I currently follow a paleo diet plus I'm off red meat, pork and bananas. Keep sugar low. I've heard good things about the no starch diet but havnt started 100% yet. I fear I will get de-motivated if I jump into it too quick and not know what to eat so I'm slowly learning recipies and making the transition. Paleo helped lower my inflammation very quickly though so I think I just need a few more adjustments to my diet.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk further and share ideas. And best of luck to you

• Posted

Hi, can you tell me more about the diet that helps you.  I’m trying not to go on Biologics, etc.
    • Posted

Hi yvonnette76673,

Sure, if you just google Anti-Inflammation Diet, you will find a variety of different diets that you can follow. Or you can check out Dr. Axe - Food is Medicine here: https://draxe.com/anti-inflammatory-foods/   There's an explanation of the diet, as well as a short video of him explaining great foods for reducing inflammation. 

Members on here have also suggested the Paleo diet, No Dairy, No Starch diet. I am still in the process of learning, myself but what all these diets share in common, is that you will be consuming a lot of whole, natural (organic, if possible) foods and staying away from anything heavily processed.

I was a fairly health conscious person before, so it wasn't too hard to adopt the diet. I have had to become much more disciplined about choosing veggies and fruits over grains and pastas. =( Also, I don't know if you like seafood but salmon, tuna, and other fatty fishes are very good for you. So are almonds and walnuts. There are so many recipes out there and many are available online. I eat a primarily vegetarian diet but do consume seafood.  

Please remember, I'm not a doctor and everyone is different, so I would suggest experimenting with your diet and see what feels right for your body. I'm not disputing modern medicine or that for many people, biologics work in treating AS. I just decided, for me, the risks and drastic life adjustments I would have to make were not okay with me. (My body's also at high risk for developing certain infections, so taking a medication that would suppress my immune system seemed like an open invitation for more illness and infection.)

I hope you find a treatment plan that is right for you! Listen to your body and it will let you know what you need. =)

**Also, are you getting enough exercise? Yoga and stretching will help with the stiffness. And meditation is good for stress reduction. 

• Posted

Thank you!  I’m definitely not getting enough excercise.  I am thebposterchild for bad eating and diet.  I will work on that.

Thank you so much!

• Posted

Hey, I hear you. Exercise is still hard for me, even though I know it's what is going to make me feel better! Be gentle with yourself and remember to celebrate the small victories too! I do hope you start feeling better. Take care.

• Posted

I know it's hard to eat healthy and exercise, but it is worth it.  Some days it feels like a full time job researching all the natural remedies.  I am reluctant to use biologics.  I tried Embrel, but found very little difference.  The cost of this drug cannot justify the small relief it provided.  I hired a personal trainer at the gym for about two months right after my initial diagnosis.  She was also a yoga instructor.  She was unfamiliar with AS, but did a little research and tailored a program for me.   I try to follow a healthy diet and some form of exercise every day.  Even if its just stretching.  I take a large dose of fish oil and turmeric every day.  I am trying to stay away from NSAIDS as well.  Sleep can be a problem, I think it's being in one position for so long. Then when I get pins and needles and need to roll over, I am in pain. Melatonin at bed time helps me fall asleep. I hope you are able to sleep soon. I think fatigue increases my symptoms.  Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.