What neural disorder is this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since ~3 years old i've had these 'episodes' (idk what to call them). Bassically I have the urge to walk around in circles (or any random pattern). During this, I block out what is happening around me I guess it could be described as daydreaming but in my mind I'm just creating stories or thinking of random exciting things (mostly scenes of fighting but always something exciting). This is so addictive! It's common to do this several times a day and i experience withdrawl if i don't do it for a while. It can last for several hours sometimes (tippically last ~40 minutes). Afterwords, i feel pleasure and feel really tired. things that may cause me to do this are being really excited or when I'm super bored then it's an easy and irresistable way to pass time. I'm pretty normal when it comes to regular life and my IQ doesn't seem to be affected. I'm an adult now and this has always happened. What neural dissorder is this? I'd like to learn more about it.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like one of the disorders from the Neurological family, called "Functional Episodes" - if you break them down there is actually 28 variations of this condition. You would need your doctor to refer you to see a Neurologist, to pinpoint the exact "Functional Episode". Some disorders can be treated with medication, while others are not so easy.

I would suggest you contact a well known Consultant Neurologist Jon Stone based in the UK. He does have numerous books behind him and runs his own website. Enter in Google "jon stone neurologist neurosymptoms" in the search bar, his website will be the first one that shows up.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I just noticed you mentioned "I'm pretty normal when it comes to regular life and my IQ doesn't seem to be affected." - Neurological disorders don't necessarily mean you would be different from anyone else, or affect your IQ.

You seem to associate neurological disorders with mental issues. I am a former MENSA member with an IQ of 160, yet I suffer from Generalized Dystonia, formally Focal Segmental Dystonia. Basically, I am in a wheelchair after an accident in my early 20's - which left me physically unfit and unable to do anything, yet mental-wise I am quite clever - the trouble is what can you do being clever in mind, but not in mind. eek

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi fakestreet!

Have you benn checked for OCD?  It's sounds like a possibilty. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.