What next?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This Forum brought me a lot of relief and comfort at the start of this year when i really needed advice and help. i would be truly greatful for some honest advice once again. Im 28 and have been living/working abroad away from the UK for over two years. Before i left to come here i had held down a good steady job for 10 years and in general had a really good life. i wasnt unhappy with my life back home but knew there was more to be had,new people to meet,new places to discover so when i was offered the opportunity to come here i threw myself at it and didnt look back. At first i absolutely loved it,new culture,new friends,new experiences..everything was good but slowly the novelty wore off,i started to see flaws in everything,realised it wasnt everything i thought it was. Work became stressful and un enjoyable,the people here turned out to be really ignorant towards ex-pats,not nice,always so negative.This had a really negative impact on my mental health and over time it triggered anxiety,which then triggered clinical depression and before i knew it i was pescribed ADs and fighting the demons inside my own head. I didnt know much about depression up until it dragged me down,made me feel worthless,destroyed my confidence,drained my energy and had me obsessively thinking about ending my life. After a struggle to begin with i started feeling better,started getting a grip of it and made plans for the future,positive plans...i set myself a target-go to Australia for a year,take time out and try and leave this hell behind.Then i met a girl,it changed things,fell in love...my plans were no longer about myself. we were together for 6months,everything was great and my mental problems eased off and it distracted me from everything else that had triggered them in the first place. The dream of Australia hadnt gone away,i suggested we do it together which led to us splitting up.This was 3months ago and unexpected,the stress and mental hell it triggered again has been horrible...but trying to stay positive i booked the Oz trip a few days later which gave some sort of comfort. slowly over the last 3-4weeks my mind has been up and down,the negativity is taking over,work is worse than its ever been and is only going to get worse looking ahead between now and when i leave at Christmas. I moved into an apartment with two other guys 3months ago to save money for the trip,the apartment is owned by my boss,whom is not a nice person but unfortunately has me chained to a ball as there is no other options...the guys im sharing with are alcoholics and are making the situation harder to deal with too. im torn between going to the doctors and asking for help again,will they just throw AD's at me? Is there any short term solutions? how do i stay positive and see this through? its a big story above and im truly greatful if anyone has took the time out to read it.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Colin, I am sorry your struggling with things again. It would be worth a trip back to the GP to disscuss your opticians. You don't have to accept AD's it's your choice. Counselling maybe something to consider. It does sound like your living arrangements are not ideal and if possible look into changing things in the future.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I think going to Australia will be a good move , I do not knoiw where you currently live , but a change of scenery and country could work wonders , getting a whole new perspective and lifestyle change and getting away from your current situation and starting afresh , best of luck , soak up that glorious Aussie sunshine my man
  • Posted

Hi to you both,thankyou for taking the time to read my situation & write back to me.

Since last night I have calmed down a little & i am seeing things a bit more logically. The main problem I have with going to the doctors/therapists here is the primary launuage in this country is not English so I have had problems explaining myself in the past,although I can speak some of the language it's not enough to explain in detail. I know for sure when I leave for Australia things will get better,it's the bit inbetween I'm struggling with. This forum is a huge support,coming on here & simply typing out my worries helps dramatically. Again thankyou for your time & words

• Posted

it can as simple as getting a good nights sleep to make things seem better I can see the issue if English is not the laguage spoken where you curently are as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.