What next?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all. I live in the U.K. am 62 years of age and have been treated for BPH with Doxozasin and Finesteride, I have have the usual DRE and PSA checks over the years and no alarm bells have been flagged but the DRE confirms I have an enlarged prostate. 

I have been on the Finesteride for over a year now and over the last 3 months my sex drive has dropped off dramatically and feel what I can only describe as desensitised down below. My flow is not great and I'm up a couple of times through the night. My doc, on the last visit says I am on the best combination ot drugs but I seem to despair at their lack of expertise and am sure if I go back and mention my decline, he will say it is a pay off to keep the prostate in check, another PSA check DRE. 

I know things are advancing with procedures to treat BHP and hope  I could delay things until a safe less evasive procedure was available. The word TURP puts the fear of God in me. My friend suffered after one a few years ago. 

In anyone's opinion am I on the Finesteride for too long and could the doc give me an option. The Doxozasin was prescribed due to my high blood pressure and is a tablet that they say, if can be tolerated is ideal for my prostate also. 

Any info. about good urologists, drugs or the way forward would be much appreciated from you guys, and all the best!

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Graham I forgot to mention try not to push urine out as that will increase bladder and kidney damage.
  • Posted

Graham,

I had a turp operation in Lincoln on the NHS exactly 8 weeks ago. I've had no problems at all and all the troublesome symptoms of bph have been resolved. Second to giving up smoking, its the best thing I've ever done. I can only speak from my own experience but I really think turp gets a false bad press on these sites. I personally know other people who have had the turp operation with absolutely no problems. There is some degree of retro for sure but the improvement in my quality of life, after suffering all the standard symptoms for years, is enormous. I'm sure the success, or otherwise, of all these procedures depends on the skill of the surgeon so its worth doing what you can to find a urologist you have confidence in. 

• Posted

As you say it depends on the skill of the surgeon and also on the areas of the prostate needing attention. You have much better chance of success is your median lobe is not the problem area.

There are many versions of TURP since the original one. Which one did you actually have ?. Often patients don't know as urologists refer to any version as a TURP. I even had one refer to GL laser as a TURP as he said it is all just boring a hole.

• Posted

Glad your doing good.  But like Derek said it is the skill of the surgeon and what type of Turp you had.  If you say you have a degree of retro.  You did not have a regular  You may have a Lesser turp or a Plasma Turp  With the skill from the doctor He has more control of what he gets ride of.  Good like and I hope all goes well  Ken   
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

I had a gyrus or bipolar turp. I was, quite honestly, scared when I went in for this. However  the surgeon was very experienced and seemed to have a good reputation. He gave me some degree of confidence when I spoke to him. I guess there is some degree of risk involved and whatever others say, your own experience is all that really matters. I do just wonder whether the problems with this operation, using modern techniques, get exaggerated.

• Posted

Gyrus if it is the same one I contemplated  in 2004 was very different from TURP. I think what you had was a combination using both equipments. As when I had Thulium/Holmium in 2013 he used Holmium initially to save tissue for histology and Thulmium to laser away the rest. 

Back in 2004 before I had GL there were a few doing Gyrus in the UK. One in England had done over a 1000. I asked at Ayr hospital in Scotland and they that a one year waiting list but I have not heard of it in recent years.  

• Posted

Mike you had a improved version of the regular Turp.   A regular Turp is done by a resectoscope which is like a knife.  Most of the time they just go in and hollow out the center of the prostate not watching what they are cutting.  That is why retro is at 97%. And somemen call it barbaric.  With all the other version of Turps now there is a 30 % decrease in regular Turp procedure That was said by the Mayo Clinic in New York.  You just have to pick which one you want.  Good luck and heal well  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

Gyrus or bipolar turp is not different to regular turp except that the cutting implement works differently reducing bleeding and allowing a saline irrigation fluid to be used, which eliminates the risk of turp syndrome.

• Posted

Exactly that difference and much safer so it was not what most Forum members regard as a TURP. 
    • Posted

This is a post from a news group in 2005 !!!!!

Yes, I had a gyrus in early march. I'd been reading this group for some time and I thought a gyrus would give the same results as pvp. It did. My experience was like the better pvp experiences. The only meds I had were antibiotics for one week. Bleeding stopped after a week or two and all stinging/pain gone in another couple of weeks. I've still got the fire hose I had immediately after the operation but I've got retro which doesn't bother me and I think the sensation if anything may be even better. I had an over night stay in hospital then the catheter was removed and I went home. Piece of cake and the nurses were very nice.;o) Like I said mine was like the better pvp experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.