What next ? Headache on shingle side with burning top of ear and throbbing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Honestly , this is going on for me and I feel like it's just something else !! I have had s muzzy head for a few weeks  which has now turned into a ghastly headache over one eye - my ear feels hot and I have throbbing - pulsating sensation at the back of my neck . Please can You advise ? 7 weeks post shingles 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am 5 weeks out - I still have a bit of a rash, although scabs have healed. I have `shooting' pain, despite being on Tramodol 50 mg, and Amitripyline 10 mg at night. The Doc declined to answer when I asked how long it would take to clear ....... 

• Posted

You need to do everything possible to calm your nerves. Sleep is the number one thing to accomplish this. If you can,  sleep! Meditation (which takes a lot of practice).  Organic nettle leaf tea, raspberry leaf, rose hips, lemon balm, and mullein teas also help with calming your CNS. Vit B12, lysine, ester C are also great supplements to aid in healing from this awful virus. Everything you can think of that is calming to you, do. Lavender oil is therapeutic for headaches. Epson salt baths with lavender, another good one that helps me a lot.  I am not suggesting that you don't follow the western style of medicine, however I have chosen to use all these and a special diet and I have had the best outcome this way.  I am so sorry for your suffering, I empathize and understand.?

• Posted

Hi - thankyou for your response - please come lax you advise me in diet - I am trying to have a healthy diet I need a plan - I have ongoing pain over my eye which results In headaches - just feel rubbish think I need to make some changes 
  • Posted

Hi alison,

I'm sorry you still feel lousy. Please know that many of us who have had shingles have been in recuperation mode for months. After reading the posts on this site, I am sure you have picked up that it takes a VERY long time to feel healed after shingles. I still am not back to normal and it is exactly one year since I got shingles. My rash is long gone, but the after effects of the virus linger. I have PHN which seems to improve a tiny bit each month. But, the exhaustion, lack of energy, tingling/numbness, headaches and other weird symptoms continue.

Trying not to over do it, sleeping a lot, eating a healthy diet and avoiding stress all will help the healing process. But, be prepared for months of not feeling like your normal self. 

• Posted

Thankyou for your response - I am trying to be patient I really am - just feel so lousy the headaches and pressure over one eye is ghastly - my shingle spot was in my face !! What did you do to manage headaches ?
  • Posted

Alison,

The residual effects of Shingles last a long time, and most Physicians neglect to inform their weary patients of this salient fact. Michelle gave a lot of pertinent advice. I would also add, return to your Physician for a re-evaluation and chronic medication titration.

You must rest and sleep. The headaches are agonizing, I know. I empathize with you. I can't remember which meds you were given, and of course, they may have changed by now.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi merry thankyou so much ch - my doctor has not prescribed anything for the headache - she has completely ignored the possibility of phn- I had a full blood t st done waiting for results - this pain is getting me down it is above my eye and feels tender to touch - when I do touch it it gets worse - my rash is as in my jaw line so not sure why I have pain above my eye - feels s bit like constant eye strain - which radiates to my head and makes my nose feel odd - just awful !! But thankyou for your help and all of others who have responded x
  • Posted

Alison,

I would seriously find a physician who is interested in your comprehensive health. You shouldn't be suffering like this. It is their duty to alleviate pain and suffering. If this Physician doesn't get it, find someone who does.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thankyou for your response - headaches are just exhausting - gp did full blood count all normal !! I don't feel normal 

• Posted

Alison,

Please find a Neurologist who will prescribe a combination a medications to address the Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN. Obviously, your primary physician does not care about your pain. I do not know where you live, ie States vs UK, Canada. Please, if you live near a University Medical Center, you might find some excellent choices there. I know how severe the headaches are, but you need someone proficient in these medications to help you and you need to make the first step...

Let me know how you make out!

Where do you live?

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.