What? No Treatment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last October I went on a diet and lost 30 lbs. I needed to loose this weight. Then in Jan. 2017, I got strep throat. In Feb I had my regular yearly physical with my GP and blood work came back mild for hyperthyroidism. He repeated the blood work in 30 days and it was very slightly worse. Referrered to endocrinologist. Thyroid scan showed slightly enlarged thyroid, with several small nodules. She said nothing really needed treatment at this point and she would monitor. I'm feeling anxious, can't sleep, running to the bathroom all the time, and have patches of dry, itchy skin on my legs. Now the depression is creeping in and I fell generally lousy. What can I do to get my Dr to treat this so I can get back to my normal, active lifestyle? Do your readings have to be awful to warrant medication? Frustrated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Have you got a print out of your blood results from both  occasions.

Can u go privately to  see an endo who is prepared to treat you?

I do notunderstand why endos are like this tbh.

• Posted

Hi Nancy I know what u going through its a shame that doctors treat blood results not ur symptoms I'm in a same boat euthyroid still symptomatic but no help bcs my blood results are in normal range I will suggest that u post ur blood results here with lab ranges and here lots of knowledgeable patients will help u ....at the same time keep going to ur GP and ask them to treat u bcs its u who s suffering not the doctors

• Posted

Hi Nancy, my T4 was only 0.1 above the upper limit and my TSH was witthin normal limits but I had awful symptoms. I was lucky and my doctor started treatment based on the whole picture, rapid heart rate, raised BP, hypertonic reflexes, weight loss, and my thoughts were really weird and almost obsessive. So I believe that not everyone is the same and some of us are just more sensitive to thyroxine levels than others. I would ask your doctor to explain why he/she doesn't think you need treatment if you have symptoms. My TSH plummeted on my second blood test to well below normal so I was glad my doctor had started me on medication. Even so it has taken months for my levels to stabilize and my heart rate is just starting to be a little less erratic. Make sure you let your doctor know that your symptoms are impacting on your life. If all else fails find another doctor who will look at the whole picture and also ask for a copy of your levels so you know just what they are. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

My heart rate and BP are normal, but sometimes I wake suddenly in the night. I have to get up and pace for a while. It's like a mini panic attack. My hair was falling, but that has subsided. My skin is itchy and my stomach sometimes doesn't feel good. I need to nap every afternoon. I normally lead a very busy and active life. I think all of this is coming from my thyroid. 

• Posted

My stomache felt awful until I realised I wasn't eating enough and was getting hunger pains. I started snacking with apples, tins of tuna and cup a soups and my stomache settled down. Hyperthyroid uses up a lot of fuel so you need to replace food more frequently is my theory.

• Posted

I have the blood word numbers somewhere but could not remember them for this post. She referred to me as "mild hyperthyroidism". I am calling the endocrinologist to make a new appointment, my GP advised me to do this. This time I'm going to ask her to treat. I'm pretty tired of being awake half the night.

• Posted

Good on you Nancy 😊 No one can know what you are feeling but you so tell the doctor your symptoms and ask to be treated. From what I have seen here and from what patients have told me when I collect their blood, this condition has a wide variety of presentations and just because yours may not fit into a nice neat pre decided pigeonhole it doesn't change how you are feeling so don't let the doc tell you what you should be feeling, tell him/ her what you ARE feeling. I really hope you feel better soon, hyperthyroidism is certainly not fun (understatement lol) but with treatment and a bit of moral support you can get better. Good luck and keep us posted ..... hugs 😆

• Posted

it owuld be interesting to know what your tsh was/is and if you have any thyroid antibodies. Take care  x
    • Posted

I agree. Good on you, keep on until you get the treatment that you are entitled to.  Jane xx
  • Posted

The depression won't last forever. Mine lasted for a month... thank god! The best advice I can give you is to stay positive, drink lots of water, stay active, and don't feed into the depression. Remember that what you're going through is temporary so relax and take time off from work if you need to but hangout with friends and do fun stuff while your meds kick in and start working! No staying home and feeling sick and depressed lol... you'll literally go crazy 😜

After 6 months my thyroid levels are normal and I'm now feeling great and now focusing on losing the weight I gained from the depression stage.

• Posted

Does anyone else have symptoms that come and go? I'll be good for a week and feel pretty normal, than over night I'll become jittery, sleepless, itchy and frequently in the bathroom. I don't understand this inconsistency.

• Posted

Yes Nancy I have good and bad days even my blood results are normal

• Posted

If you're feeling that bad get a second opinion because you know your body best. I'm assuming your blood work came back normal and that is why they don't think treatment is necessary but it sounds like your very sensitive to and minor thyroid changes. I was the same way and felt the worst once my thyroid levels became normal. It took me about a month after levels became normal to feel back to normal. I would request more blood work two months after your last results and see if anything changes. In the meantime I would recommend taking a magnesium supplement that has helped me a ton and I still continue to take because I love it.

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Mind my asking Nancy ifyou have a printout of your blood results?
    • Posted

Yes, but it's in my patient portal on this computer and I can't remember the exact numbers at this moment. I will look it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.