What now?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I haven't posted on here in a while as I was convinced by my symptoms that there was something wrong with my pancreas. My GP was also in agreement that my symptoms sounded like it but all my tests were normal.

I saw my consultant who advised they would do more tests as long as when they came back normal I was to draw a line under it and move on.

My ultrasound was normal but showed debris in my gallbladder. Endoscopic ultrasound showed everything as normal (pancreas, bile ducts and gallbladder).

I am still waiting for my HIDA and SeChat scan which are in September.

I am lost to what is wrong with me now. Could I still have something wrong with my pancreas but it not show on scans? I thought EUS was the best diagnostic for early chronic pancreatitis.

Could it really be IBS? The pain is so disabling! Right after eating on my left side on my ribs and side and goes up into my back and shoulders.

The Amtriptiline seems to be working? Or it could be a coincidence that I started grape seed extract and turmeric at the same time.

I have been tested for IBD, celiac, gastritis. Normal endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. Bloods are all normal. (Did have vitamin D deficiency and calcium deficiency).

I bloat after eating, I have lost weight and struggled to put it back on which I have slowly managed to do. My stools are loose, diarrohea, yellow, orange and light brown in colour. I suffer with bone aches and pains, intigestion, acid reflux, heart palpitations, fast heart rate, sore throat, mouth ulcers and throat ulcers, any food with any fat in it causes me huge problems. I have undigested food in my stool.

Any help with any of this would be great!

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gem,

we have already had net discusiion in the past....

I am 95% the same symptoms as you are.

I will go for EUS in 2 months so let you know than. Until that my doc syas its not chronic pancreatitis.... good luck!

• Posted

Good luck with your EUS! It wasn't bad at all. I hope everything is clear for you!
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound like IBS.  I was diagnosed in May with IBS after 3 and a half months.  I saw eight doctors and was visiting my surgery weekly begging for answers,  One out of eight understood my symptoms.  As each test came back negative, the more I panicked.  I too worried about my pancreas but the doctor thankfully ruled this out.  

Everyone experiences IBS differently.  I have stomach pains mainly with constipation and that's all.  I have no trouble with food.  Initially, I had four different types of pain:  dull to deep grinding, sharp to stabbing and neuralgic, sore to touch pain.  The pain radiated to both sides of my back, I felt sick, had sore joints and aching ribs.  I also had loose, soft stools.

Now, I only have dull pain with occasional twitching sensations inside.  I can largely ignore the discomfort and have reduced my anti spasmodics.  Buscopan works really well for me.

• Posted

Hi Philippa,

I'm glad someone has the same kind of symptoms as me and has had their pancreas ruled out as a problem too.

But I'm happy that your also suffering sad

I have tried buscopan aswell but seen no benefit from it, I've also mebeverine but it just made me really bloated and gave me trapped wind so I stopped taking it.

I'm hoping at my next gastro visit to discuss my pain option.

I hope someone somewhere can come up with something soon!

• Posted

I'm in same boat and have commented on your posts before. I'm glad your EUS was clear that's only test I haven't had! I also think mine is pancreas as I've said before. Amitriptyline is helping me more than any other ibs meds have. Still get pain especially day after alcohol but much better on this med. I think if we had chronic pancreatitis it wouldn't help. That's what I'm hoping too!

I'm the same after every test I promise myself I will let the pancreas worries go and I do for a few days then I start googling and see how hard it is to detect and I freak out again! Such a waste of our lives living in pain and worry!

• Posted

I'm glad the amititrpyline is working for you smile

Yeah I'm back to worrying. Trying not to thou which is hard. The way I'm looking at it is that if I eat healthy and avoid everything bad then hopefully my pancreas will be ok. I'm also gonna find some good enzymes to try and help my pancreas.

I hope we manage to get sorted one day!

• Posted

While waiting for a diagnosis, I googled myself into a panic and imagined all sorts of terrifying scenarios.
  • Posted

I too tried Mebeverine but I had similar side effects to you and felt 50% worse.  The irony is that I think my IBS was triggered by medical treatment first by a chiropractor and masseuse and then by a botched blood test which has left me with permanent pain.
    • Posted

I'm starting to think all my issues where triggers by my c-section. Can't prove it thou. Was fit as a fiddle before that thou sad
    • Posted

I also had a c section for my 3rd child and it started 2 weeks after! I did have it 2 years before for about a year but it completely went away for a year until I had my section and it's been back ever since and worse! (Didn't hurt up my back and shoulders first time round!) she's almost 3 now! I'm sure something happened to trigger it back off and it's not just stress causing it like they try and tell me!
    • Posted

They try and tell me it's stress too. But it was definitely triggered after my 3rd baby. They really did push and pull me around with my c-section. My first section wasn't too violent but my 2nd I almost slipped off the table! I wonder how many other women out there a have symptoms like us that's they've just been told IBS. I'd be interested to see.
  • Posted

I've read a lot of discussions about people who have had surgery and then develop IBS,  it must be a sort of immune response where the body detects an enemy agent and gets ready for battle and launches world war three on us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.