What now?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok a few weeks ago, I had the barium swallow. They just said, " we see a lot of reflux". Just had an endoscopy and colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. The dr. Called me Monday night and said all is clear. I am on pantoprazole 40mg. She said that she was going to call me in something else and I am to see her in 2 weeks. She didn't seem to have any answers. I can tell the meds tries to keep the reflux down a bit, but I still have some pains at times and stomach burning. I am doing all the regular stuff; eating small meals, watching foods etc. I take a natural enzyme before meals- this helps some. What should I be doing to get rid of this pain, mostly at night... The bed is raised also!

Also, do any of these meds trigger weight gain??

Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I also had a barium swallow ad told me that they see reflux and also a hiatal hernia. Ive been on omperzole for about 1 month and a week , i feel better but i feel like a lump in throat and nauseous all the time, i feel the heartburn sometimes but it doesnt annoy me as much as nausea.
    • Posted

I've been suffering with this for over a year
  • Posted

Hello Pamela,

Not sure if I commented to you in the past. You seem to be doing some of the things that helped my gastritis improve, which I'll put below anyway, but bear in mind that it can take a long time for improvement to come, for the stomach is busy with digestion everyday and even its non-acidic fluids can irritate the tissues of the oesophagus and so on if reflux is occurring. So think long-term and avoid stress as much as you can, hard though it is in such discomfort, for that can cause or worsen stomach illnesses.

Over two years I have wrestled with my trouble, developing and learning through trial and error what harms and helps, and I'm better than I was, but it is still a work in progress with variations of discomfort and setbacks. Best wishes.

Several small/medium meals per day (I have seven medium, one every two hours or so), rather than fewer bigger ones, so you don't overfill your stomach. Eat relaxed, chew well. Be sat upright for and after meals, not bent or reclining, so you don't squash your stomach and press its contents upwards.

Fried foods, high-fat foods/meats, dairy, high-salt foods, spicy-hot foods, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, caffeine, alcohol and chocolate can all impact on stomach and reflux troubles for some people, so personal experimentation is key. Minty foods relax the lower oesophageal muscle which can let acid up easier, so they are bad. I use a fruity toothpaste, and strawberry gaviscon tablest for the now only occasional acid burn.

Wholewheat bread, cereals, bananas, hardboiled eggs are a few of the foods that suit me, but there are pulses, rice, various beans (not kidney beans apparently) and many other things to try. Chicken is one of the best meats due to its lower fat content, though even that can hit me and is not eaten lately.

Stress, excercise and bending activity that pressure and squeeze the stomach are also to be avoided. Be as calm and stress-free as you can.

Having your last meal a few hours before bed can prevent or lessen reflux at night, but I found that waiting to be too empty caused hunger discomfort and kept me awake. Because of this I lie-down about an hour and a half to two hours after last meal, and this is much better. I lie raised a bit on three pillows, on my right side, which is best for me, though the left side is usually recommended. Other people raise the bed-head itself about 6 to 8 inches.

Another thing that helps me greatly is to not burp after ten minutes after eating, as this can bring acid up and cause heartburn.

• Posted

I just started with Pantoprazole 10 days ago because even if I only have mild reflux/gastritis, mild acid is showing on the back of my throat and vocals. I also have chest heaviness all day long unless I'm laying back or sleeping.   I will have a barium swallow next week.  So far I have not noticed any weight gain and in my case I lost 50 pounds the last 2 years because of this and the diet. I don't have heartburn, flare ups, or any other symptoms besides the chest heaviness  which also create breathing problems.  I have been cleared from my cardio and Pulmo. Already had 5 CT's the last 2 years so I'm nt loooking forward to add more radiation to my body even if these have much less than a regular CT. like 20% from a chest CT.  Yes, just like you I have eliminated any fo that will trigger any sumptom but I don;t have exactly I fod that does that so I just eliminated 80% Gluten and  90% dairy from my diet. And even Soy. I eat lots of veggies and fruits so I'm not sure what to do now.  I was better before I stated all this diet to eliminate the mild reflux/gastritis I have.   My primary was LOL because she said the next thing is to check if I'm pregnanent because everyting is different for me.  I told her, she will be surprised how many people are on the same boat I'm in so they must be a reason they just dont have the answer.
    • Posted

Hi Papote,

As I suggested another time, maybe you should give some new foods a try. Gluten may not be a problem for you, so normal wholewheat breads and so on needn't be exluded. And I know from when my diet was too fat-free at one point that I felt very bad in my stomach and chest area, as if with the severest form of hunger. My body was actually telling me to get more in. Once the nutrition drinks from the dietician were strarted as well, with 12 grams of non-dairy fat per bottle each day, I improved further. Is your weight ok?

• Posted

Hi Paul, I just keep my gluten intake down but is not completly eliminated, just like dairy. I would say at least 80-90% free.  I don't get any regular symptom besides the middle upper chest and breathing heaviness which start early in the morning and gets worse at night until I lay back to watch TV or sleep. My weight is down but when I calculate how many calories I'm eating it's obvious why is down. I would say around 1700-1900 daily. I'm 5'10 1/2" and I weight 150.  I was at 200 when this all started, and half was muscle which I don't have anymore.  My nutritionist just said to add a spoon of E V Olive Oil on my 2 shakes and increase to 2 spoons on each shake for a total of 4 spoons daily which would add aroud 400 daily calories. So far no gain but I'm only taking 2 spoons daily.   Is my weight regular for what I'm eating?  Yes, do I want to gain 20 pounds?  YES!  But first comes my health so my main concern i still the problem with my chest. One thing for sure, what ever I drink it can't have a load of sugar or dairy, I'm not diabetic but I want to stay low in sugar.   If you can send me a PM with the name of that drink.  Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Papote, the drinks I have are are generally provided to illness sufferers who need to gain or retain weight for one reason or another, like during treatment for cancer. I think they can be bought direct from the company at their website, but the cost would not be pleasant. Nutricia/Fortisip. There are some similar drinks that groceries stores sell, like protein ones and so on, that have a fair few calories in them too, but often they are dairy-based. These drinks I have contain protein from cow's milk too, but not milk as such.
    • Posted

ok, like the drinks from med boost, ;-) 530 calories but my nutritionist said The BOOST Very High Calorie is "okay", but there are chemicals and artificial flavors in it and the some of the protein does come from milk . He did suggest one but it only ads 130 calories, which will almond milk, a banana and one spoon of EV Olive Oil wll come up to around 330 calories. Still not enought because this is one of my 5 meals. My average meal is around 400 calories and even at 400 each will only be 2000 which will just keep my weight.  So I need that extra 400 calories daily to gain slowly.
    • Posted

Yes, it is a problem for me getting the calorie count high enough, but as long as it goes up and not down, or at least stays stable, it's better than nothing!
  • Posted

I can only reiterate what the previous replies have said , no dairy products,

curries, alchahol, bread , no indigestion tabs when taking GP prescriptions .

eat plenty of natural food like veg ,gluten free , herb teas chamomile , no eating anything before bed at least 3to 4 hours take fresh water with you this dilutes acid , plus ask the GP if you can take paracetamol for pain when retiring.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Have you tried to take Zantac at night? The pain at night cause d by too much acid in your stomach. I had pain in between and under the chest bones. But when I take Zantac at night, the pain gone. So take care.

• Posted

In my opinion i gained weight primarily because i can't do abdominal crunches or exercises that involves bending. Tried so hard to limit my food intake but small frequent meals is what i do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.