What other benefits could i receive?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was receiving ESA (support group) during 2015/16. Decided to try to get back into work Sept 2016. however due to health reasons i was subsequently signed off work after 6 months. I was receiving SSP until Sept 2017. Applied for ESA but was turned down because ESA was paying my National insurance contributions during 2015/16. What other benefits could i apply for? I currently receive PIP & my Wife works 32 hours per week. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

  • Posted


    I remember you posted a similar question about 1 week ago. I'm curious what happened about that? Was i right in saying that being in reciept of ESA during 2015/16 won't qualify you for ESA Contribution based now? Which i thought maybe i may have been right.  If this is the case then i'm afraid there isnt any other benefits you can apply for because your wife works. Sorry i can't give you any good news.

  • Posted

    Do you recieve Daily living part of PIP if so what level?
    • Posted

      Hi Denise, so for the late reply, i did try to respond to you but the signal wasn't good. Yes you were right regarding the ESA. It feels like i have been somewhat penalised for wanting to work. I get enhanced daily living & standard rate mobility.

    • Posted

      *Sorry for late reply
    • Posted

      No problem. Yes i thought i was right it's because having your NI Contributions paid while claiming ESA doens't count for benefit purposes. It's a shame you didn't think about permitted work back then but all that's too late now.

      Does your wide recieve working tax credits? If she does then does she claim the severe disability element on top? She can claim this for you and you do not have to work for her to claim it.

    • Posted

      Also if she does recieve working tax credit, when you were working were you recieving the disability element for yourself? This is different to the Severe Disability element.
    • Posted

      I wasn't aware of the permitted work tbh. If i'd of known i would of definitely gone down that route. Thank you Denise, i will look into the possibility of claiming severe disability element through working tax credits

    • Posted

      Please do ring HMRC first thing tomorrow. I believe they can backdate it 1 month also. Did you claim the disability element when you were working? This element is only payable to the person claiming the benefit if they work. If you didn't then i'd mention it to HMRC when you ring them tomorrow. In some cases they'll backdate 3 months. It's worth a try. Your wife will definitely be able to claim the SDP part of it for you as stated here....this was taken from disability rights website..

      This element is different to the disabled worker element. You can get this even if you don’t qualify for the disabled worker element. If you are one of a couple, there is no requirement that the disabled person must work to get this element, so if the worker has a partner who doesn’t work but meets the condition below, the couple will get the severe disability element. To qualify, the claimant (or their partner) must receive one of the following disability benefits:

      the highest rate care component of DLA:

      the higher rate of attendance allowance;

      the enhanced rate daily living component of PIP; or

      armed forces independence payment.

    • Posted

      Yes i was in receipt of the disability element. However we still only received about £17 weekly in total from tax credits.

    • Posted

      Well you'll be recieving a little more with the SDP but i have no idea how much more. You could put all your details in a benefits calculator like turn 2us and it will you you an idea. Remember those calculators are only if you put in the correct details. Sorry i couldn't be of anymore help.

    • Posted

      only accurate that was supposed to read :P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.