What other options do i have??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36yr old male and I suffer from Chronic Pancreatitis and severe diabetes. I have been suffering with this condition for the past 8 years.

I have been on strong class A Pain killers for the past four years, this has now been increased to include 300mg zomorph daily, gabapentin, tramadol, oramorph, cocodamol, amitriptyline, and many various other drugs.

In July last year I had a pancreatojejunostomy, after a 9 hour operation and months of recovery I have been told that this operation hasn't worked and there is no more they can do other that pump me full of more pain killer's to keep on top of the pain,

I am now starting to have some severe side effects due to the level of drugs I am on including seizures, hallucinations, problems passing urine, sever shaking and drowsiness to the point that I just fall asleep almost like narcolepsy.

I'm now at a loss at to what to do? I have 2 young children and this is now effecting my and my families quality of life, can anyone help???

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gavin

Very sorry to hear of your issues.

Can I suggest that you log on to www.pancreatitis-forum.org.uk

On there you will find a number of pancreas patients who have to similar issues. and will be able to offer you support.

• Posted

Hi Gavin, Sorry to hear how much you are suffering. My wife has similar ill health. In my search for help I learned a great deal. What I recommend is reading the following books. The Gerson diet. Dr Childers no Arthritis. Johanna Budwig Cancer the cause and the cure. Fats that Heal and Fats that Kill by Urdo Irasmas. These books have helped people cure the incurable and include lots of case histories of people given up by conventional medicine. My wife's pancreatitis has responded to taking digestive enzymes. Check out coconut oil as well. (It can cure dementia which is now recognised as diabetis of the brain. (Look it up on Facebook ). Best of luck.
  • Posted

I have replied to you Gavin with a website contact but unfortunately is is waiting to be moderated.

The info given by gallee is at odds with your condition and in my opinion you should ignore. The one thing that you shouldn't consume more of is fat and you should not spend time or money on 'fad' diets.

• Posted

Gavin far from being fad diets two of the books were written over 40 years ago. I only suggested reading them because I found them very helpfull. Does Stuart think it healthy to consume the amount of drugs you are on which I realise you are taking in a desperate need to improve your quality of life. As for advising you to eat fat this I did not do. The book fats that heal and fats that kill is a quality researched book that explains why the current fats on the market today are bad for you. I think Stuart should follow my advice to you as he obviously hasn't done the amount of research that I have. Or he works for the drug companies.
    • Posted

Unlike gallee I'm not selling anthing, nor do I have a vested interest in drug companies. What I do have in pancreatitis and would suggest that I know a great deal more about pancreatitis issues and treatments than he does. After my first post is moderated you will have the means to contact fellow sufferers worldwide.
    • Posted

Stuart, sorry to hear that you are a sufferer. I would be interested in what you have to say as my wife is waiting for a scan of her pancreas. Believe me when I say that my wife is starving, unable to eat. After sixteen major surgeries over 40 years she has been fed all the drugs. I found out that she had a severe allergy to milk after paying a gastroenterologist for three years. Her bowels are well and truly messed up after repeated surgeries for adhesions. She has other problems and is on borrowed time. Recently she had a cancerous lesion removed from her finger. When the same lesions started appearing on her face I suggested she apply some flax oil that I had ground fresh from seed. The lesions disappeared within days. Over 40yrs I have searched for answers. I cured myself of arthritis after reading dr Childers book. I had a problem with excess gass(belching  for England that could last for days) doctors gave me ppi's that made it worse. I found my own cure with digestive enzymes with betaine hcl. Please don't  think that I would pass information on if I didn't believe that it may help someone. They don't have to take the advice only make up their own mind. Also I'm more than happy to hear and learn from someone else. So anything you can tell me about pancreatitis I would be most great full.
  • Posted

Hi both, thanks for your replies.

I'm not overly concerned in respect to my diet as I'm already under a dietician and on a strict diet due to the severity of my diabetes.

My main issue is these pain killers. I'm hoping that one of I could advise if there is another option to these pain killers or a medicine that I could maybe take in replacement to the Comoros which seems to be causing the most side effects? Thanks Gavin

• Posted

Can I ask what type of medication you two are on to manage this condition?
    • Posted

Hi

Pancreatitis issues are very individual to each patient. I had an operation to remove half of my pancreas 7 years ago and although it's not been easy the operation has made things more bearable for me. As well as Creon I take gabapentin backed up with paracetamol and codeine when neaded. I don't have all the answers but a major problem with pancreatitis, because it is relatively rare, is that you feel on your own. Unfortunately the moderators must be having a day off, but hopefully the website that I wish to point you to will put you in touch with those suffering the same as you. It is possible that someone on the pancreas forum can recommend a course of action that will be of help to you, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.