What over the counter pain meds help ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

12 weeks post surgery for 1 plate and 8 screws and I've been released to walk with boot on, I will start therapy soon as well.  The pain is a 8 out of 10 when I first start walking in the morning and it changes through out the day.  I have been taking over the counter Naproxin for the pain, but I am wondering what others do?   I also ordered a pair of compression socks for the swelling.  

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have not started walking yet, but after I quit the oxycontin I first tried Tylenol, now I am taking Advil. But, if the pain gets bad again I will gladly take the oxy.
    • Posted

I guess I bragged too soon here and some other posts. Still NWB 2 weeks after surgery, I was transferring from my wheelchair to the recliner. I forgot, stood up putting all my weight down on both feet. Needless to say, I screamed bloody murder and got the weight off as fast as I could. I am a little worried about it. The pain started in during the night and hasn't quit. I hope I didn't tear something up.

• Posted

I took one Motrin in the morning and one in the evening, for at least a month, and that worked really well. I had to learn not to be a hero (since I was stubborn at first and didn't want to take pain meds). As I recall its best to take them with food. Warm Epsom salt baths helped the pain too. Compression socks were a life saver for a few months too. It's a few months of pain as lots of things start firing up- and it's a moving target with the pain. Something starts to get stronger and your leg moves to the next area to fire up. Work on the calf muscle takes a few months longer after that, but the muscle comes back! Mine looked so very pitiful after 10 weeks off it. Now at month 10.5 it's still slightly smaller but you have to really stare at the legs to see it- only I see it.

• Posted

Hi I'm 14 weeks post ttc open ankle fusion and bone graft 7 weeks in cast 6 weeks in a air walker boot .ive done my first week in a normal shoe .im still on crutches full time I no I've had a major op but I'm only 50 years young and I really thought I would be a lot further on than I am I've bin back for a check up all seems ok . But still can't do anything and on pain killers .its a very long road keep smiling 😀

• Posted

I don't know anything about ankle fusions, but with a triple break (trimalleolar) all is well now for me 10.5 months out and I had a lot of pain at your stage when I started to walk. I called it "firing up" pain to get all the tendons and muscles working again. Everyone who went through this with me seemed to have it too, so I know it is normal. I got an " Even up " for the shoe on my good foot to keep my walking even, so I didn't get any hip pain from the uneven levels, which some people were complaining about. A lot of people told me this helped them too. It took me 5 weeks to be able to walk on my own in the boot without any aids. I went from a walker to crutches. That was the only time I used a walker or crutches the whole injury. I loved my scooter and was a bit sad during this stage when I had to say goodbye to it. The walker helped me a lot to balance while I was firing the leg up (I probably only used it for 2 weeks or so though). I'm 57 years young and was always active and am again now. I plan to go skiing this winter and know people who had my injury at the same time last Feb who are skiing again this year (although they recommend a bit of padding in the boot where the screws hit). Wishing you the best in your recovery!

• Posted

Thanks for reply . I'm sat her again with a ice pack on I've don't next to nothing today a work but it's well swell up again . I think I might go back to my walker boot for a few weeks and mybe try again mybe it's just to soon .

• Posted

I think you are right. I noticed it seemed to happen to the people who start too soon and are on their feet too much during the day. Ankles take time. I noticed with the people who started too soon, and pressed hard, that they were hurting past the time we all got better. Just food for thought from only observations.
    • Posted

I understand what you are saying about "firing up".  Everyday is a new pain, but also new strength in a different area.  I call it toughing up.  It's hard to be patient and not over do it, I'm so happy with all the things I'm now able to do for myself !  

• Posted

Besides the percoset my Dr also had me on 800 mg ibuprofen 2x a day. I had lateral ligament reconstruction surgery with Arthrex implant a month ago. On week 2 of weight bearing with cam boot 24/7. I no longer take the percoset but the ibuprofen still helps. And ice. LOTS of ice! They sent me home with the Polar Care ice machine and

it helps a lot

• Posted

I had never heard of a Polar Care ice machine. I had to google it. That looks like a cool device. So far, I have not had to use too much ice, but I keep my foot elevated on a wedge. I take the 200 ibuprofen tablet a couple times a day. I probably will have to increase that when I start walking.
    • Posted

Game Ready is the best ice machine I have seen- but very expensive. Very cold ice water cools in a better way than ice itself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.