What pain medication do you all use?

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi,

i am 10 days post op, and have been advised by physio to do some more walking and less bed exercises (they were irritating my groin/psoas). My soft tissues don't like it, and I trying to find the right balance between enough movement for healing, and too much pain.

i think/know that my pain medication is very low ie cocodamol at the lowest codeine level of 8mg per tablet.

i am interested to know what pain meds fellow hippies have used in say the first 6 weeks post op. From everything I've read, good mobility and ROM are crucial to a strong recovery, and I don't want to hinder my recovery by being in more pain than is necessary.

i can't take NSAID's , and I struggled with the opioids given to me in hospital. However, now I'm home,I can think sensibly, and realise that there is probably a stronger pain med that I could tolerate which won't send me "wappy". I will call GP tomorrow, but am sure that others out there will have some helpful info/advice.

Also, what advice have you been given re the minimum amount of movement at different stages of recovery?

a lot of questions, I know.

thankyou.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was given Celebrex, Percocet and Aspirin for the first 30 days then Percocet as needed.

Really helped me.

I was fine after the 30 days and took Percocet only when I went to PT. 

I have OA in all of my joints except for my knees and it was wonderful to not have any pain for 30 days. I've had chronic pain for 16 years adn it was nice to take a break from it for awhile

• Posted

Hello :-) 

As this forum has illustrated, we are all different and have various secondary factors which effect out recovery. I am extremely lucky in that I have good general health and had a straight forward surgery. 

I started walking the day after my release (Day 5 post op). I started with 100 yards (with two crutches) and was chuffed to bits. By day 12 I managed to walk a mile; and by day 17, two miles. Mind you, I did have the 'encouragement' of my wife eek. And yesterday I managed to take a few steps with minimal limp unaided (indoors). That was day 30.

For me, the simple rule is to find the balance between the mind and the body - your body will soon let you know when it has had enough and needs a days rest.

Regarding painkillers, I have been very lucky in that I was pretty much pain free from day 3 post op. I used the odd co-codimol to help me sleep at night, other than that, I stopped as soon as I could - by day 8.

Listen and understand your body - it will let you know.

Hope that helps.

Michael x

• Posted

Hi There

I was given codeine and paracetamol to go home with from the hospital plus the aspirin for anti-coagulation.  I took only paracetamol during the day and took one codeine at night.  After a few of days (around 8 or 9 days post op) I stopped all pain meds.  The wound site was a bit nippy but didn't really bother me that much.  We are all different though.  Unfortunately there is not much else other than paracetamol NSAIDs and opiods like codeine that you can get on prescription from your GP.  If you have any swelling use ice and elevate your leg.  I am sure after a short while you wont need pain meds. If you take codeine make sure you eat lots of fruit and veg and drink lots of water as constipation will be an issue.  Good luck Alison xx

• Posted

Hello....I was on 8 paracetomol and 3 brufend and occasional codien.  I refued any morphine based pain killers ( tho think codiene has) as didn't want to feel sick.  They paracetomol controlled the pain quite well..I tened to save a dose to take in the night for the first couple of weeks.

​Re movement I was told to walk small distances 3 times a day..from the day I was discharged...  Also told to rest rest rest!  There is no doubt the first 2 weeks are challenging but not dreadful. 

Good luck with GP tomorrow...you will get useful posts I am certain.

Ali

• Posted

I did the same as the other posters. Paracetamol thru the day and either saved one dose for night time or took a co codamol to help me sleep. I didn't get on well at all with the stronger meds and when I got home from hospital and actually thought about it, I didn't really need them either
  • Posted

Used Endone for about a week post surgery, then down to paracetemol, for about 2 weeks more.

I used the atheletic idea, warm up your muscles a little bit before I attemped to start walking too much, 10 days is very early to be doing too much, you will only hurt yourself.

So did my leg swing to the side, to the back, and did my little dips, told to imagine sitting in a chair, but not to go too far,  and or lifted my knee just a little bit, all while hanging on too the kitchen bench, and then sat down and rested.

I did these exercises about 5 times a day, gently gently, physio told me until you feel the pull is the trick, and after that lots of repeating, you will notice the difference after a few days.

• Posted

Thankyou Lynn.

its always v helpful to hear how others have approached their recovery.

i seem to have become someone who worries about whether every twinge will result in a revision operation (slight exaggeration lol)!

this groin pain is bothering me. Would love to hear "yes, that's completely normal .... Might take a while to go .... Do X and y, and all will gradually be well"

am am seeing the surgeon on Thursday for 2 week wound check, and the physio the day after. Perhaps that will reassure me.

when did you have your op?

• Posted

I was looking at the date last Friday, and thinking its a year today, 1st thr 15 months previous to that, both crazy different, one soooo good, and the one hip that is just ayear old, has been a nightmare, but am getting there. But for the Physio I have been doing, most of it just following what they taught me in hospital, and going swimming (treading water) 3 times a week, very reassuring to have the physio tell me I am doing the right thing. Pinged me on a couple of weaknesses, and showed me how to strengthen myself up in those few muscles, working well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.