What pain meds are you taking and do they work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just curious about what pain meds those with frozen shoulder have been prescribed and do you think they work for you?  I have been taking Tramadol (Ultram), which really doesn't help me with the pain, but it does help me to sleep for about 2-3 hours.  Is there one pain med that may be better than another?  I was thinking about calling my doctor today to see if I could get something different.  I know these days doctors are reluctant to prescribe pain pills because of abuse but I need some relief from the pain.  It is especially bad at night and almost unbearable.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am taking 30mg codine an hour before bedtime and that combined with a small pillow under my arm and a hot wheat bag enables me to get about 5 or 6 hours sleep. Then I use Bio Freeze gel to take the edge off whilst I doze until morning. During the day I take over the counter co-codomol and ibuprofen/naproxen but they don't really seem to do anything other than taking the edge off the pain. Distraction of the right sort helps most. In my case walking in the countryside swinging a small weight on the affected side (looking slightly dangerous!!!)

• Posted

I used codeine too for about 4 months, with enough success to manage the pain in addition to heat or ice, TENS, etc. The codeine was long-acting (slow release) for night time and really bad days, with regular codeine for breakthrough pain & less active days. 

• Posted

Hello,

?Ive been dealing with FS for 11 months now...I use Ultram for when I go to Phyiscal Therapy, but there is a gel your Dr. can give you-

?Its called Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel 1%.  It's transderal (like the nicotine patch), you can use it up to 4 times a day and will give you some relief.  Ice is also good.

?Hope it helps-

Sue

• Posted

I was on the oral version of Diclofenac and broke out in a rash.  I wonder if I would have the same issue with the topical gel?  I have done heat and ice, but neither helps much.   This is my second time with FS and it is so painful.  The thought of going through this for months is so depressing.

• Posted

I used the Diclofenac gel too, but it's hard to say if it made a difference. Could be that just the act of rubbing it in and trying to do something/anything was helpful. 

• Posted

Had my FS for about two years. Tramadol, was like taking tylenol. Worthless for FS pain.

I take Norco, 10 if it's really bad, buy you won't be able to sleep. I found that a Norco 5 will just knock the edge off so I can sort of function and I can sleep on that dose. (I am VERY sensative to medication though.)  

Flexeril (muscle relaxers) I switch off between Norco and Flexeril, I don't want to take Norco too many days in a row as it's a narcotic.

Also, Naproxen Sodium as an anti inflammatory works better than Meloxicam. The Meloxicam tore up my stomach. 

Try the Norco, the doctor will perscribe them, FS is one of the most painful shoulder conditions out there.

PS. Try a hot bath with  a ton of epsom salt before bed. that has been a life saver for me. Good luck..

• Posted

Hi - I tried Tramadol. It did allow me to sleep but made me feel awful when I was awake. Co-dydramol was about the best that I tried (you have to get it on prescription, at least in the UK).

It is a vile condition. Best of luck.

• Posted

If I can kindly point out, anyone not used to taking painkillers, especially ones with codeine or similar narcotics, may also want to research laxatives. There are two types that you can buy over the counter: stool softeners or stimulants. If you can't possibly take in more water, vitamin C, fruit & fibre to do the job, try laxatives. A pharmacist can help you choose. redface    

• Posted

Ah yes! good point I forgot to add that I have to take two senokot tablets with the codine every night. That generally keeps things moving, though at some times rather swiftly.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.