What pain relief for osteoarthritis in knees

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i have osteoarthritis in both of my knees, i think this is partly due to my work which has meant I have kneeled on hard floors for years.

I was just wondering what pain relief people use and what is the best? I know everyone is different so what works for one may not work for another but really hoping to find something to help me manage the pain especially when I'm working.

At the moment I take Ibuprofen 600mg and when its really bad I take Meloxicam although this does upset my tummy it does help with the pain. I also take amytriptyline at a night to help me sleep because I have a lot of sleepless nights due to it however It doesnt seem to be making a lot of difference.

I also use Deep Freeze and Deep Heat and have used Ibuprofen gels but this didnt really help.

Are there any different gels/creams or tablets that may help??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Have you tried wearing knee supports /braces. there are some very nice ones around that have helped me for years. I have torn meniscus in both. Also icing helps big time keeps swelling down and rest. Been putting off knee replacement for years. not painful as long as i take care of them.

The best help are rocker shoes .. they take the pressure off the knees , improves the walking gate and allows the knee to heal. they are amazing. It's worth a try. It's the one thing that helped me the most. I tried knee injections, steroids mostly. But never lasts longer than a day or two. The rocker shoes helps the inured knee heal . Of course healing depends on your type of knee injury.

Also see a knee therapist for stretching, building the area up muscle and techniques to help improve the knees without surgery.

Have you seen a orthopedist ?

Good luck stay off your knees ask if possible for another position at work for awhile to help your knees get thru this period.

• Edited

Thankyou for replying, I have only seen my GP and a physiotherapist, had an Xray that confirmwd its osteoarthritis. Gp just said its a long term condition and that it will be a long time before i can have knee replacement due to my age (45) .

I have used knee supports before, had the padded ones that do help a bit when I am at work and keep it warmer in the winter, I have looked at some of the braces and have thought about trying one.

Thanks for the advice on the rocker shoes, i havent heard of those, I will have a look.

Thankyou i will try to sit on a chair instead of kneeling as much as I can.

Thankyou for your help

• Posted

Your in a place where waiting for OA to take a toll on joints and cause more injury thru aging is not a choice and its doesn't have to be as long as you take time to keep your knees in good shape . I am very happy to hear that your being proactive at your young age and taking steps to essentially do what is needed now to keep your knees in good shape to maintain mobility thru healthy means . Do get the spring shoes they are a whole different technique to save your joints for the future. Over 20 years and still mobile thanks to spring shoes which have helped to follow thru with saving my OA joints. when my knees hurt so bad I slip them on for a while walking in them is so much easier and no pain. Try wearing a pair to work and see how they truly can help with extending knee mobility.

• Edited

If you can put your hands on a product called flexiseq you may find it helpful. It has helped me a great deal. In North America we can only get it via company with name beginning with A. It is a British product and contains no medication. It acts as a lubricant for the joints I've gone from suffering from a very swollen and painful arthritic knee which kept me from getting any exercise to speak of to being able to live a normal life, although I am still careful (in mid-70s so age playing a part). It can take a couple of weeks to work. Look it up on the internet and consider it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.