What pre-surgery preparations turned out to be the most useful for you?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All.....thought is might be useful to have one thread listing all our ideas about pre-surgery preparations. Please keep adding ideas so in the end it will be a nice long list ! Thanks

My goal was to be able to get through the most difficult period independently (I live alone)

Food Prep:

1. Alot of cooked single portion meals which I froze (chicken, meatballs, hamburgers, brisket..go crazy !)

2. Stocked up on longer lasting fresh fruit and vegetables (apples, oranges, grapefruit, clementines, tomatoes, celery, carrots, potatoes).

3. Supplemented with frozen fruit and vegetables (berries, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans)

4. Stocked up on yogurt( VERY important if taking antibiotics after surgery) , cheese and eggs

5. Hardboiled a dozen eggs (so convenient to grab and go)

6. Made and froze two kinds of soup. (so comforting!)

The following aids good to have

1. Knee scooter...a lifesaver. Cannot say enough about how it helped do this on my own both inside and outside the house. Could not have done without it. (Possible to rent or buy...if buying check out Amazon and Ebay...much cheaper than local medical supply stores)

1.(b) Removable basket for the knee scooter..bought and installed at a bicycle shop.

2. Shower stool and hand shower

3. Plastic cast/foot protector for showering (Amazon)

4. Ortho wedge pillow 10" (Amazon) (easy to elevate above heart with this)

5. Small cooler for keeping ice/gel packs cold beside bed...fewer trips to the freezer !

6. Wide bottomed track pants/yoga pants. (Need width for getting on/off over bandaged foot and elastic waist for quickest pit stops...you won't want to linger on foot/feet longer than necessary for a while !)

Happy shopping ! LOL

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Before surgery I did a lot of house cleaning and extra shopping. I also bought a cheap stool for the shower. I didn't by a waterproof cover for my feet instead I use pedal bin liners and brown seleotap it's a cheap alternative as it's only a short term thing.(not very glam but no one will see)

Also just be prepared to be lying down for most of the day as after a few minutes of standing esp the first wk the feet will throb and feel heavy and sore (due to blood rush)

• Posted

Prepare all things you might need at bedside, tissues, face wipes, bottled water, pens, puzzle books. I had a snack drawer too, chocolate and cereal bars and crisps. A tray with milk, tea bags, etc. I would get myself a kettle too, when I get my other foot done. Hated having to ask to get someone to make me a cuppa.

Also think about how you will get to the toilet, I had an old office chair with wheels, and could actually sit on this while getting washed, try seeing how you manage to wash your face standing on one leg.

• Posted

Hi All

Almond oil has been amazing particularly when the bandages are off. My scar healed quickly and my feet feel like baby's skin.

Arnica gel is brilliant for swelling.

I am 3 months post op and I so regret not doing some exercises whilst lying on the sofa all day. I lost so much muscle strength that walking is still agony. My back can barely support my weight.

Footwear- lace ups and wide fitting are most practical and elevation is a must as often as you can.

Good luck all

• Posted

Good idea - in no particular order so apologies for the randomness.

A supply of generic pain meds in case you don't agree with the ones you get given- nothing worse than being stuck in pain waiting for somebody to find a pharmacy open.

soft gel cool packs- like the kind you can slip a bottle of wine into- your foot should fit perfectly and cools all the way round smile

nail varnish etc (optional for the guys ) - it's a pamper thing and when you can do your toes it makes them look soooo nice - feet you can show off!

a kindle or a stack of books, dvds or a laptop and a subscription to netflix or similar maybe

grab and go food if you're on your own like Rena and I - toast gets boring after a while. Salad stuff was my favourite- and when I did have a visitor I got them to make up a plate of something a bit more interesting for me and put it in the fridge. Online shopping is how I managed with a weekly supermarket delivery.

I too bought 2 limb protectors for the shower and a small stool.

Because I had both feet done I couldn't have any kind of scooter- i had a walking frame at first. Much more stable than crutches if you have both feet done.

Build yourself an elevating station- sofa or chair with footstool etc - make sure there is something you can grab onto to haul yourself up if it's low as said before in those early days toilet breaks need to be as short as possible and you don't get much warning- not sure if it's the amount of fluid in your body due to the surgery or the meds or sitting and crushing your bladder but you need to get there without too much delay. Have a basket close by with all the bits you may need, wipes, tissues, pen, book, phone, remote, snack, bottle of juice.

I had bought some soft stretchy chenille socks which have been a godsend keeping my toes warm at night when I couldn't have the duvet on my feet.

A pair of crocs-

A ready supply of babywipes and massage oil- I use BIo Oil

A diary- handy to keep track of your progress and your anticipated visitors so you can ask them to bring shopping etc or time it so they can help you with a meal, and also so they don't all come at once- feast or famine is no fun ! Spread it out so you have something each day to look forward to.

And finally and most important- a sense of humour..... It's hard going but it gets easier and it's only a few weeks before you will be back on your feet, hopefully pain free and with straight feet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.