What range should your blood pressure be after eating?

Posted , 6 users are following.

They say BP goes up when you eat but how much is too much? For example, if you digest a bowl of ice cream then take your BP how high would it be, as a ballpark figure, like 140/90? I know sodium will raise it everytimesurprised

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Ice cream won't necessarily raise your blood pressure, unless of course you eat a large quantity.  Believe it or not, carbs can raise your blood pressure as well.  Most peoples' blood pressure will still remain in the normal range after they eat, unless, of course, they've got diagnosed hypertension. And if you're treated for that hypertension, it will remain in the normal range.

• Posted

bp only rises because people have just eaten, which is why it is not recommended that people take a bp reading within 30 minutes of a meal. 
  • Posted

Yeah it's not even which food you eat so much as your stomach is working hard.  It probably raises BP ten or twenty points, for about thirty minutes.  That's not harmful in itself, you just don't want to test then because there's no standard.

• Posted

Asking for a friend? How big is the bowl? 

As I understand it there are many factors that can push your BP up or down through the day and ideally you should be able to sit and relax for 10 - 15 minutes before running a check also why it's ok to ignore isolated abnormal spikes in the readings (I love a spreadsheet me)

• Posted

You got me, I just ate the biggest bowl of ice cream I've ever madebiggrin

• Posted

To further investigate this we need more information:

Flavour

Supplier

Toppings

• Posted

jason1098...the info you wrote is very accurate. BP fluctuates from minute to minute, & it's so important that a person relax 10-15 min before taking readings. Isolated abnormal spikes are nothing of concern. It happens.

• Posted

Neopolitan

Definitely not Baskin-Robbins

Bananas, Chocolate Syrup, Chocolate Chip Cookie Sprinklescheesygrin 

• Posted

Keystone...why are you asking this question? BP always goes up after eating,which is why people are discouraged from taking bp readings within 30 min. of eating. 
    • Posted

I ask because I read conflicting views online about this. Just read some of the comments here and you will see that.
    • Posted

Keystone...the comments here are just guidelines from us to help one another or to offer advice. I don't think any of us are doctors. Any printout that's provided when buying a bp monitor states that people should not take bp readings within 30 min of a meal, bath, shower, smoking, etc. Also, bp readings shouldn't be taken if one is upset, worried or anxious.The same is true if one is not feeling well. As jason1098 wrote..isolated abnormal spikes are nothing of concern. It happens. My very own doctor told me the very same thing. 

The biggest pitfall we fall into is worrying about readings. If you're anxious or nervous before taking readings, the numbers likely will be higher than they should be. 

Quite some time ago, I was always nervous about taking bp readings, the the Dr. I had back then didn't help any, & neither did his staff. It got to the point where just looking at the bp monitor made me nervous, or the site of a bp cuff, for that matter. Finally, I decided that I wasn't going to be intimidated any longer by bp readings, or the machine for that matter. It was a machine,nothing more, nothing less. People can take readings far too often, & that too can spark unnecessary anxiety. There's no need for anyone to be taking 6 readings/day. How ridiculous. 

• Posted

Lately I have become obsessed with taking my blood pressure since I haven't been feeling so well. I read there is no connection, but since my G.E.R.D. is under control, my blood pressure seems on point. Let's hope it remains. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Keystone...If you are not feeling well, a bp reading WILL be higher than normal. It stands to reason. The body reacts to anything that's not normal, resulting in elevated bp. My doctor informed me of this. There IS a connection. You've got your GERD under control, & the bp is on point. Notice what you wrote. GERD is under control. GERD is something wrong, yet you've controlled it, therefore the body is reacting as it should..by bp being on target. Stay confident. Again, don't take readings when not feeling well, anxious, upset or worried. 

• Posted

It happens to me almost everyday , specially if i eat salty food. I don't take medication and i don't believe I have BP problem..Sometime my BP reach 160/100 after meal, I just relax for a 2 hours and it's back to 120/85.. it will stay that way until the next day....Trust me Food will do it for you

• Posted

It's good to get other people's perspective of a problem. Sometimes you learn more from patients than Doctorslol

• Posted

It's nice sometimes to know there's others out there that have been through the same thing and can just say "don't worry, it gets better" or "that happened to me so now I don't eat pickled herring"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.