What's going on?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a UTI about 7 months ago, took 2 courses of anti biotics which cleared it up, no infection showing up on the urine culture, had STI tests and did a pregnancy test as advised by the doctor but all came back normal but I had symptoms of a UTI for weeks and weeks afterwards, a constant feeling of my bladder being full and needing to pee.

It cleared up in its own eventually but it's back again... no pain when peeing or stomach ache or anything just the constant feeling of a full bladder! I've sent off a urine sample which should be back Monday but it feels the same as last time.. so annoying and uncomfortable.

I'm a very anxious person too so I google symptoms like mad and always think the worst is going to happen or it be something terrible.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced similar? smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Google is my worst enemy. I too have had repeated UTIs for the past 5 months. Now I fear I might have the resistant strain of E. coli that doesn't respond to any antibiotics. This knowledge is courtesy of Dr. Google 😳

• Posted

Hi Georgina,

I am so sorry you are struggling with a UTI. I have been having them since January this year and have had 6 lots of antibiotics, the last which was prescribed when on holiday in May (Majorca).  I was given Ciproflaxin, which I now Know is very strong and has many side effects (nasy ones).  Apparently the FDA has banned its use because of damage it can do as a quick fix.  It is still in use in the UK though.  My doctor's surgery will not prescribe this antibiotic because of its side effects.

My infection has benn e-coli too.  I was told it was clear when I went to see doctor Thursday last, but symptoms are still bothering me - pain in abdomen, groin and lower back, plus stinging and burning has just started again, suggesting I am not free of this infection.  Deciding what to do.  My doctors cannot believe that I have had this for so long, but they have a record of my frequent visits and antibiotics issued.

I too worry about a very resistant strain of E-coli which antibiotics cannot clear.  I am not much of a comforter I know, and I understand your misery.  I have received advice on this forum not to ever have ciproflaxin again.  I am wondering whether whether to go to A and E as they can put you on a drip (but don't let anyone give you Cipro.)

I have some strange numbness in my legs and feet since taking it for 7 days, so this really bothers me.

I have a prolapse and due tosee the uro-gynaecologist at the end of month, but in the meantime am supposed to be having physio, but cannot even be examined until this infection is clear.

I feel your pain - so sorry, AngelaXX

• Posted

Have you tried not drinking caffeine? I had a similar problem over a year ago, I didn't even have a UTI first but I felt like my bladder was always full and always had an urge to go. Went to a urologist and they couldn't find anything wrong, they just told me to not drink caffeine or any sodas, avoid tomatoes and citrus too I think. Eventually it went away and I was able to start drinking caffeine again. 

I have learned more about pelvic floor muscles since then and kind of wonder if that was the problem all along, your pelvic floor muscles can get strained the same as any muscle and because of the area it is really hard for you to determine where the actual sensations are/what you're feeling.

It is probably a good idea to see a urologist though, they can rule out that it is nothing serious.

• Posted

This sounds like very good advice.  Any irritation of the bladder will feel like 'got to go' pain.  Drink plenty of water, and drink a glass of cranberry (25%) a day if you dont do so already - this is proven to stop bug getting a hold on the bladder wall.  Cut down on stuff that might irritate (as above), and learn to relax.  Dr G. will persuade you you've got everything under the sun so be very savvy and take it easy.  Treat your body well and take care! 

If the sample comes back clear, that's good.  If it comes back that you do have an infection make sure the antibiotic they give you is the right one for the bug.  Above all don't let them prescribe Ciprofloxacin!  It's broad spectrum and they may say it'll kill everything.  That's true but it may also kill you, or at least make you very ill  (I'm not joking - see the discussions on here about it!).

Good luck, and I hope it comes back all clear!

• Posted

Thanks for your advice smile it definitely does feel more like irritation now.

My results were negative. I also don't drink enough water which probably doesn't help!

• Posted

I do drink a lot of tea and have been having dizzy drinks lately - think I need to cut down. My urine culture came back normal so it's a mystery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.