What's going on with my digestive system

Posted , 55 users are following.

Hi all, first time hear and hoping someone out there may shed some light on whats going on with my stomach. I have had bouts of indigestion and heartburn for many years, probably due to always working unsociable, shift work, but they were sporadic and very mild bouts. However, since December last year I have been suffering with allsorts of problems, which seem to be digestive tract linked. Prior to these problems I injured my back at work in September, and have not been able to go back as yet. Before, the symptoms started happening I was put on Naproxen (an NSAID), to help relieve my back pain, so I could do Physiotherapy. I took Naproxen for about a week, until I had to stop due to getting severe stomach cramps. This then led to all the symptoms I am experiencing right now, which I will list in a bit. I saw my GP, who put me on 40mg Omeprazole, 20mg twice a day, which relieved the symptoms for a while. However in recent weeks the symptoms are getting bad again, I have been to and fro from my GP, who has put me on Domperidone as well as the Omeprazole. My GP had my blood tested for a total blood count and Helicobacter Pylori. The blood results were all good, except for a slight raise in platelet levels. I am having more blood tests done, and have been referred for a scan, I have heard Pancreatitis and Gallstones mentioned recently, but thought I'd mention my problems on here, just in case someone has experienced the same as myself, and can help enlighten me.

The main symptoms I get are bloating (and associated random sharp stabbing pains all over abdomen, chest and back), burping, stomach churning, frequent throat clearing, 2 specific frequent dull aches that can get sharp (one on left side of upper abdomen, and one just to right of centre of upper abdomen), raised heart rate, nausea, hot flushes, bouts of dizzyness, pale coloured stools (sometimes loose, but generally firm). It hurts more when I move and I also get this sharp pain, right across the top of my abdomen, where I'm guessing my diaphragm is, when I bend over.

These symptoms aren't daily, I can go 2 - 3 days and feel ok, only experiencing very mild symptoms, but then the symptoms flare up and it leaves me not being able to do anything cause I feel so rough. The pains and discomfort I get do hurt, but I'm not in severe pain, so I'm just having to deal with it whilst my GP investigates. I'm hoping the scan will reveal something, but if anybody can help with any info on the reasons why I'm getting all these symptoms, I would be very grateful to hear it. I've been struggling for a couple of months now, and totally fed up, just to know what is going on would be a help in itself.

Thanks in advance.

BTW. Forgot to mention that I can't eat bread, or high sugar content foods, these flare up my symptoms. I had a Rhubard and Custard boiled sweet the other day, I thought 'surely one will be ok', I wish I hadn't bothered, that hurt. I've never been a heavy drinker, and I do smoke, but again not a lot, on average about 7 - 8 a day.

5 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul

Could there be the possibility that you have Diverticultis - I ask because I know I do from a CT Scan I had in December. I was admitted to hospital on an emergency basis with the same symptoms as you are experiencing. It does need medical attention otherwise can lead to very serious complications. You develop pouches in your intestines - which never heal up, and are often caused by pressure when passing stools. Once these have developed sometimes undigested food - often seeds (tomatoe etc) can get trapped in these pouches and bacterial infection develops - then you have a flare-up which needs anti-biotics, fluid only and paracetamol. These are often given through an IV with a 3 day hospital stay. Just something for you to consider if you haven't already had a CT scan.

• Posted

Hi Margery

Hope you are ok and thanks for the info. I think I remember you mentioning this before, and its certainly something I want to look into. If you don't mind I have a couple of queries that you may, or may not be able to help me with.

Did anything show up on any blood tests you had done to indicate that you had Diverticulitis? Is it an acute illness or is it one that takes time for symptoms to start showing? Do you know if it could be the cause of the abdominal swelling on my lower right side? I presume if these pouches were big enough then they could show up.

I have to admit that going to the loo hasn't been normal for most of my life. For the best part of it I found I was constipated a lot, as far back as I can remember anyway. Its only in recent years that it seemed quite normal, until lately since I started getting these symptoms.

Thank you again, its another idea to suggest, and all the more reason why I need my GP to refer me for a more thorough examination. Like I said in another post, why examine me in an area where I'm not having any trouble?? Trouble is I'm one of those people that finds it hard to try and get my point across, and would rather say 'yeah, thats ok then' than suggesting ideas or courses of action.

• Posted

Hi Paul

Regarding your query to Diverticultis - no it didn't show up in any blood tests. I had no idea what was wrong with me - suffering acute abdominal pains ( on the right side also) and had been having injections for the sickness ( because I couldn't swallow at that time, I was terrified I would choke on my own vomit)It didn't occur to any of the Dr's what was wrong. I had my gall bladder removed a number of years ago and my appendix removed many years ago too, so we could rule that problem out. It was only the CT scan that showed I had Diverticulitis - widespread. I am now waiting for a colonoscopy to examine me further. Hope you get to the bottom of this Paul - I know how debilitating this can make you feel.

Good Luck

Margery

• Posted

Hi All

I went into see my GP concerning my apparent swollen abdomen and to express my worries about this and taking Dulcolax at the same time for the bowel prep for my Sigmoidoscope exam (which has been postponed until Wednesday). He got me to do a few exercises and checked my abdomen at the same time and he found that my rectal muscles seem more prominent on the right side of my abdomen. He seemed to think there was nothing to worry about and said that I should go for it and have the scope. I accepted what he said, with a pinch of salt, but I swear the swelling came on over the space of a week, who am I to argue?? I'm tempted to contact the hospital performing the exam just to see what they say. My GP says that he doubts anything is wrong with appendix, and I haven't been checked for IBD, so I'm still lost as to whether taking the Dulcolax is a good idea or not. Still, my philosophy is 'no guts, no glory', so better give it a go, the need to find out whats going on is too important now.

On a much more positive note, I can eat again!!! For months I've been avoiding foods that caused me stomach pain flare ups, mainly sweet and fatty foods. As I mentioned before, I have been feeling no nausea for quite some time, after the odd resting position I put myself in that seemed to get rid of the nausea. So the last few days I got brave and tried a few foods that would have triggered my stomach pains a few months ago. I have eaten digestive biscuits, quite a few chocolates from a box given to me as a christmas pressie and a couple of croissants, and nothing, no problems at all, no nausea or cramps / pains, I can't believe it, I feel great. Its amazing to be able to go for a long walk, not dictated by nausea or pain, and I've been able to make a start on decorating the living room. I still get a bit of bloating and burping, and I've still got to try and come off the Omeprazole at some point, which, a few months ago, wouldn't have stopped the flare ups if I'd eaten the foods I mentioned earlier.

I will update this with the findings of my anal probing session, lovely!!

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I'm glad ur still going ahead with it. Good luck for Wednesday. Also it's great news that your able to eat more again smile and your able to do more stuff. Must feel great smile

I've been feeling a bit down again. Pains are pretty awful at the moment sad My stool sample and h.plyori test were all normal and so were my most recent bloods. Still waiting for my MRI results (should be back next Monday) My dr is really useless. I'm seriously thinking about moving surgery! He said if my h.pylori came back normal he would request an endoscopy. But now he won't. I've even phoned my consultants secretary to see if she will authorise it, as I won't get to see her until the end of April. Meanwhile I'm getting more symptoms: pain around my belly button and my bone pain is really painful sad

I've got my pain management appointment on Wednesday I'm hoping if I explain how useless my dr is they might be able to help me! Worth a try! Lol!

Keep us updated and all the best for Wednesday!

Gem

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Just checking to see how you're doing?

How did Wednesday go?

Gem

• Posted

Hi Gem

Hope you are well. I'm ok thanks for asking, other than another nausea flare up. I felt like I was doing so well up until the last couple of days, then the gurgling, bloating, burping, nausea came back. Not as severe as previous bouts, but still enough to mess up my plans and keep me housebound.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my Sigmoidoscopy. My father has had heart problems for the last half a year, and he had one of his turns last week. He is a self employed herdsman on a farm, so my brother and I had to be on hand to help out with milking the cows, and just in case my Dad took a turn for the worse.

I've been referred again by my GP, so should have another appointment for the Sigmoidoscopy in a week or so. My GP has also booked me in for an Endoscopy, which I should have in about 4 weeks.

Sorry I haven't got any other info for you as yet, but I will update you as soon as I get some news.

Take care

• Posted

Hi All

Whilst waiting for my Sigmoidoscopy and Endoscopy examinations to be done, I've been looking at all my symptoms and trying to get an idea of what is happening to me. There are some symptoms that I have been ignoring as they aren't causing me to much discomfort, but have started wondering if they could be telling me something else.

These symptoms are sharp, shooting pains all over my body and back that occur randomly and go away again, and last anywhere between a few seconds to a few minutes. These pains also change in severity, from being almost like a sore feeling, to a sharp 'ouch' pain that makes me want to grab and rub the affected area, and they seem to be triggered more by movement and exercise. I've also been decorating our living room lately and noticed this brought about a dull ache in my lower back, which has now gone since I stopped exerting myself.

I got really worried a few mornings ago when it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest for 4 - 5 beats, then calmed down, but immediately after this I had a dull, painful ache at the base of the back of my head, top of neck area, which lasted for most of the day, then gradually eased to nothing. I haven't experienced this one again, thankfully, it scared the life out of me, although I wouldn't be surprised if the neck pain occurred due to anxiety and worry of feeling as if my heart was going to burst out of my chest.

One cause for most of these symptoms that keeps popping up is Fibromyalgia. I was surprised to read that IBS is a common symptom of Fibromyalgia, which could explain the problems I am getting with my stomach and bowels. I also noticed that one cause of Fibromyalgia is physical and mental stress, and injury. I was initially signed off work for popping a disc, and I was extremely stressed, both physically and mentally, at the point when this injury occurred. Also there is no known test to diagnose for Fibromyalgia, which could be a reason why all the tests I have had done of late have shown nothing really wrong.

I haven't thrown any of these symptoms at my GP yet, as I was more concerned about sorting my stomach problems at first, but now my stomach has settled down a lot since first getting the problems, these other symptoms that I have mentioned have become more prominent.

Just wondering if any of you out there have any views or ideas on this, not even sure if I should be adding this info to this discussion, or starting a whole new one.

Cheers anyway.

• Posted

Hi Paul, how's things? Anything new to report?

I have fibromilga. Was diagnosed 2 weeks ago when I went to the pain management clinic. All the pressure points he tested made me jump out the chair! I never knew I hurt so much! Lol!

My gastro app has been bought forward to this Tuesday! I'm very scared/nervous! Trying to think positive thou!

I've also managed to nearly put on half a stone which for me is amazing! So I'm happy with that smile

• Posted

Hi Gem. You ok?

I saw your other discussion 'Nervous'. I can't say I blame you, I'm so worried that they'll find something bad during my Sigmoidoscopy on Thursday, its doing my head in. I try to think positive, but at times, especially in last few days having had alsorts of odd aches / pains all over my body, can't help but think the worst. I really do hope all goes well for you on Tuesday!

Bet your well chuffed with the weight gain, nice one! I keep loosing small bits every couple of weeks. I know I eat less and better than I did, but I'm not able to be that active, so this is another worry trigger for me, why do I keep loosing weight. Add this, all the other symptoms, and the chemical exposure I mentioned earlier in this discussion, and my head is filled with loads of scenarios, but none of them good.

I didn't realise you had Fibromyalgia on top of everything else you have to go thro, I really do feel for you.sad. I only mentioned it because of the fact that I can't pinpoint or easily describe the pains I feel all over my body. I saw IBS could be a symptom too, some symptoms of which I experience. Again thou, just clutching at straws really, I think it's going to be some time before I know whats going on inside me. Probably, would have gone crazy by the time I find out whats causing all this! lol

Not really much else to report Gem, but I'll let you know what happens on Thursday. Good luck and my best wishes to you for Tuesday, I'm hoping it goes your way!!!

• Posted

Thanks Paul, I'll keep you updated.

Good luck for Thursday. I hope it all goes well for you.

Yeah I went to the pain management for my bone pain. He sat me down asked my symptoms. Then started poking me in lots of different places, which I now know were the fibromilga pressure points. I reacted to all of them. The one under my left Breast was agony! I nearly hit him! Lol!

The treat it with vitamin d, which I'm on already, an anti-depressant and a stronger pain killer. None of which I can't take as I'm still feeding my baby. So they are leaving me for 6 months and then I've gotta go back.

I'm just dreading Tuesday sad it's an excited feeling coz I really want to know what is wrong but at the same time I don't and that's what's scary sad

Anyway, keep ur chin up smile try not to worry to much about things (easy to say I know!)

All the best! Gem

• Posted

Hi, you are very much describing the miserable life I lived for many years before I got so sick, they did an endoscopy & took biopsies in my stomach & duodenum which showed I had Celiac Disease. The Dr can order a blood test. It's not an easy one for the medical community to diagnose bc of the nature of the disease. They tend to treat the symptoms instead of connecting the dots. Like you say, you feel ok for several days then, all of a sudden, you feel crappy for days. There are over 300 symptoms bc it's a disease that can affect almost every system of the body but originates in the small intestine so digestive ailments are usually the first thing a person notices. Over the course of many years, many problems can result, even skin, nerve, or even reproductive issues. Also, left undiagnosed CD can lead to other major  diseases like thyroid, MS, Athritis, etc. 

I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi Paul (and all),

I have great empathy for you after going through my own hellish experience.

Just to start of with a bit of history, about a year and a half ago I had a burning sensation on and off from my right rib cage down to my right hip.  As I had newly diagnosed gyno issues I didn't think much of it, but my doctor sent me for a ct of abdomen and pelvis which only confirmed the gyno issues so it was put down to that.

Due to a large bone spur, I had been taking aspirin and ibuprofen  about four times a week, two at a time but cut it two  two a week as it was giving me heartburn and then it was cut out all together  (several weeks before this "episode".)

I went to a night out (and I rarely drink) and had three vodka mixed drinks plus a meal.  I felt a little burning sensation but nothing major, but later that night was dry retching and my whole abdomen felt like somebody had poured fuel in it and put a match to it. This shifted to very bad pain that would go from left under my ribcage, to stomach and shifting to the right ribcage and came out in a rash that lasted two days before fading completely.  Then the crawling, itching beneath my skin started which lasted until three days ago. At this point, I was terrified it was pancreatic cancer or bile duct, as  (I used to nurse) they are early key symptoms.

Fast forward 15 days later I'm still suffering, although the extreme burning has subsided, for the last nine days I have had yellow to green/brown stools, generally loose (sorry to be graphic folks, hope you all aren't eating whilst reading this :-) ).

To date I've had an ultrasound- all clear; a ct with contrast -all clear; blood work-all clear and have to schedule an appoint for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. and am off for the h pylori test tomorrow and now also have to provide a stool sample .

The occasional burning and unconformtableness in my stomach still appears sporiadically as well. I'm trialling different foods and am on an anti acid medication twice a day now.

This has driven me nuts! It made me absolutely miserable for ten days straight, such was the pain and it has made me morbid as in "feeling" there must be something dreadfully wrong, as incurable.  Stupid, but these symptoms just roll on.

So pending the endoscopy, I'm at a loss to know what my next step in and have been prodded and poked by three different doctors who are all diagnosing gastritis but not the cause of it, which I am assuming was perhpas a combination of a 'raw' stomach due to meds and then inflammed by the alcohol. 

I also started off on probiotics and bought myself some quality coconut water, as well as eating smaller meals and cutting out fatty/processed foods.

I have never experienced anything like this in my life, I just keep waiting for the symptoms to go away and I have great sympathy for anybody experiencing this and the not know "what" is causing it is doing my head in.

If anybody has any tips or advice it would be appeciated, with diet, medication...anything really that would help! :-)

Paul, it would be interesting to know the outcome of your endoscopies if you feel comfortable sharing.

• Posted

Hi Jay

I'm happy to share my experiences, and will of course update this discussion with results of my 'scopies'. First one being my Sigmoidoscopy today in 3 hours time, yippee!!! Got to say, I'm a bit concerned as it feels like the Dulcolax used to bowel cleanse, hasn't worked. I was expecting to be constantly on the toilet and experience some stomach discomfort, but the only thing I got is 6 bouts of diarrhoea, and even then it didn't seem like much came out. I'm hoping I've gone enough for the exam to be successful, guess I'll find out soon.

Like you I've cut out as much fatty, processed food as I can. I don't drink caffeine anymore, used to drink a lot of flat whites from Costa before my symptoms kicked in, so now only drink water. I can cheat now and again and chomp a bit of chocolate, but only in small amounts. One thing I have noticed is that before my Sigmoidoscopy, I was told that on the night before I was only supposed to eat a light supper for the bowel prep. One item I was allowed to eat was rice crispies in a little milk. As an experiment, I bought some before my bowel prep, and had them for a couple of mornings for breakfast, and I could feel that they were starting to aggrevate my stomach. My diet doesn't change a great deal due to my symptoms and I only eat the foods that I know I am ok with, so I am sure it was either the rice crispies or the milk added to them that was causing my tummy to flare up. Since I've taken them out of my diet I feel a lot better, and I was feeling ok prior to eating them. I'm wondering if I could I have become lactose intolerant?? The main symptoms of lactose intolerance are wind, diarrhoea, bloated stomach and stomach cramps, all of which I get. I don't eat dairy anymore, which is a shame cause I love milk, cheese and yoghurts, and I seem to have my symptoms under control, although they haven't fully gone away, they are only mild most of the time. Fresh veg, fruit, lean white meat and white fish are the main foods I stick to now, and everything seems to be working ok(ish). My bowel habits were bad before all my symptoms kicked off, dark, tarry, smelly loose stools. However, since being put on Omeprazole for a few months now, my bowels have never been better (at least until I took this Dulcolax for bowel prep). No overpowering smells, solid but soft, and a lovely shade of brown, lol! This is why I believe I have been suffering with stomach inflammation, or ulcers, but because of getting these, now may have gastritis or something like that. I was severely stressed out with work, both physically and mentally, before my probs happened, and being prescribed Naproxen for my popped disc pain was the deciding factor that made my stomach feel like it was being torn apart and set on fire. My GP tends to shy away from talking about the Naproxen stage of my treatment, maybe they don't want to accept liability?? But I am sure it was the main cause of why I have the problems I am getting now.

Stay strong Jay, it is hard to, I know. I've had many a tearful moment cause I want to go back to how I used to be, or know what is wrong, but then worry about what is wrong. All the blood tests, examinations and ultrasound scan I have had indicate nothing, lets hope today may give some answers. Check this space later and I'll update with any developments from the Sigmoidoscopy. Take care!

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thanks for  your words of encouragement, particularly as you are going through your own issues, that is very kind of you.

I must have spoken to soon, because now my stomach is having a nice old burn, that will teach me to try pancakes on a morning out I guess, because I'm sure paying the price now and I only have myself to blame.

I know what you mean about cheese and yoghurts, because I LOVE them! As I rarely drink, giving up alcohol would be dead easy for me, but it has been harder on the dairy front, especially those two! 

I actually have come to dread going to the toilet, because what I pass is just a reminder things are not right with me somewhere along the line and it does cause some anxiety that I'm trying to put a lid on. You mentioned your heart racing, which sounds like anxiety. It's frightening when it happens, my Doctor sent me for an ecg and bloods even though we both thought it was anxiety related - it was.

I also notice the more anxious/stressed I feel, my symptoms of my stomach increase as does my neck pains which I feel must be from tenseness which creates nerve pain.

I do think things like aspirin and  Naproxen probably cause more issues than we think.  As you know with disc pain, it  can be from mild to hideous and desperation to get relief sees that you almost take anything to make it at least reduce a bit. I tried hot packs; topical gels; massage but when it was bad, nothing really helped. I do know, based on the way I feel atm, I will NEVER take those medications again because they obviously don't agree with me.

Funny you mention fibromylagia because going back about five years, I've had constant issues and had complained to a friend about getting all these random weird aches/pains.  I had assumed maybe entering early peri menopause and she said it sounded exactly like fibromylagia, but I also have not mentioned that to my (new) Doctor as I am mostly concerned in getting this issue with my stomach/bowels sorted out.

I am lucky because I have private health care (although I will have to reduce the level because of spiralling costs) and won't have to wait the ridiculous six months or so on a public waiting list. I was frightened into keeping it from my nursing days when a I was doing a pre op admission and this poor man had being waiting SIX AND A HALF months for a colonoscopy with query to bowel cancer. I was mortified on his behalf, he was so stressed about it all.

I have, however, been processed on the public system with all my diagnostic tests at a very fast rate, so can't complain too much.

I hope all went well with your endoscopy Paul and hope you find some answers and resolution soon.

• Posted

Hi Jay

Thanks for all your input.

You mentioned pancakes had given you some problems. Dairy isn't the only thing I can't stomach at the moment, I seem to not be able to eat bread, and I have also wondered if I had a problem with wheat. I've lived on farms throughout my childhood, clambering over hay and straw bales, bedding up calves etc. I also spent a significant time working in a feed mill, where wheat and barley were the main ingredients used for cattle feed. I wonder if the amount of wheat dust I must have inhaled over time has made me sensitive to wheat. I use 'free from' rolls and bread now and don't seem to have any probs, although I might as well make sandwiches with cardboard.

Anxiety is a nightmare, I've had to deal with a lot of stress and worry, mainly due to my abusive parents, and just over 10 years ago I had a mental breakdown due to my marriage being over from being cheated on. For ages I believed nothing was going on, even though the signs were there, and then one night I managed to finish work early (was on a constant late shift at the time), and found the other man in my home. I was devastated, especially with knowing my children were in the home at the same time. I left her, which was the easy part, but leaving my children, and leaving them with her wasn't. I had to fight through solicitors for access, and for my ex to even try and acknowledge that our children existed. I tried for custody but was refused as my children were young and being with the mother was their better option. The more I fought my childrens corner, the more it wore me down and ended up having time off work for depression. As time went by my depression started to go, but my anxiety levels remained high. I don't think I'll ever recover from anxiety, I think its sort of built into me now, but it does play havoc with my thoughts and feelings when I get even the most minor of symptoms. However I am getting better at blaming my anxiety for the heart racing, stiffness tense pains, etc, but there's always that 'what if' that goes round my head.

I have to say that the public healthcare I get has been pretty good, it only took a week and a bit to get me in for my Sigmoidoscopy. They found inflammation that was causing bleeding in my lower bowel. The consultant said that this could well be the reason why I have generally been feeling ill lately. He also found 4 polyps, 3 were ok, but one looked like it could cause a tumor, although he wasn't 100% sure of this. He couldn't give any indication why the inflammation was happening, but he immediately booked me in for a full colonoscopy for further investigation, and remove all the polyps they find. He did say that none of it looked serious, I guess consultants aren't allowed to say that if it wasn't true??

I think you're right in getting stomach issues sorted first, they can cause all kinds of pains, anywhere in the abdomen. Thats my plan, then if I still feel like this after the treatment, then look at other likely causes, eg, fibromyalgia, wheat or lactose intolerance. Since taking wheat, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, sweet and fatty foods out of my diet, and being put on Omeprazole, my bowel habits are as they should be. Before all this they were horrid, dark, tarry, smelly, loose with mucous (sorry if too graphic). I got to say, just getting my bowels working properly has given me a lot of peace of mind, even if I'm still suffering in other areas, so I know exactly how you feel when it comes to having troublesome toilet habits.

I do hope that you get some answers to your problems soon. In the meantime stay strong, and take very good care of yourself. We'll get there!!

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I am very sorry you have been through such an emotionally stressful time (which also can affect you physically as well), I can't imagine what you went through.

If you are able too, it probably would be helpful to talk to a good counsellor etc about that ordeal, because from the couple of friends who have been through similar trauma, it took them about three years before they started to feel okay about life.

One of my friends, and the lovliest of people, went through an eerily similar story to you.  Including bringing home the other man after sending the kids to bed and even to the extent of using their shared funds to rent a cheaper unit to carry out their liason. He walked as well and unfortunately the children seem to be the collateral damage in her selfish and poor choices.  No surprise though, because  she had been raised with "whatever you want, you can have it" attitude.

I believe she is onto marriage number three now.  Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you've been through that.

I haven't caught up to see what your results were, so I am hoping if they found something that it is a very treatable condition.

I have continued to have muscle pain, joint pain, bruising and my stools (always gets back to talking about bowels!) go from being completely normal to a bit yellowish again.  My Dr has suggested multi vitamins, but I am sure it is something more than that. I realise my bloodwork; ultrasound and ct with contrast have all come back clear (except for slight anaemia which was always put down to gyno issues), but I am getting a second opinion to check for viruses; thyroid; celiac.

The Doctor I went to book into is shutting up shop, so a slight delay with my gastroscopy/colonoscopy. I just wish I knew what it was, it really is horrible, both in symptoms and not knowing.

I hope you and other posters are on their way to getting well again.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Jay

Many thanks for your kind and sympathetic comments and suggestions, especially since you are having your own problems to deal with. It is horrid to have your life dictated by problems and I do hope that someone can give you a diagnosis soon. As you said, its the not knowing that causes so much upset, I'd happily deal with the symptoms if I knew why I was getting them. Good luck on your second opinion, I hope something comes of it.

I have quite a history of seeing counsellors, and it has helped a lot with helping me deal with life. Unfortunately, I'm haunted by many traumatic experiences during my childhood, that I just cannot get rid of. But when my own father pinned me up against a wall, threatening to punch me in the face just to get at my mother, when I was only 10 years old, or seeing my dad repeatedly punching my mum, and trying to stop them, but also try and be the strong one for my younger sister and brother, I guess I'm stuck with these memories. I also have 2 brothers that are younger than my daughter, and I witnessed them being subject to the same torture as I was about 10 years ago, so I decided to get social services involved as I couldn't stand seeing them go through what I had. I'm not sure exactly what happened as my parents disowned me for involving them, not that I had much of a relationship with them anyway, but I know social services were monitoring my brothers lives. I haven't seen my parents since then, but thats no real hardship, life for me is a lot easier not having them in my life. One counsellor said to me 'do I really need them in my life', and as much as I would love to have a mum and dad in my life, I don't need them, and life has become easier not having them there. Plus I have a great bunch of in laws now through my new partner, who's own father treats me like the son I secretly think he wished he'd had. As for my ex wife cheating on me, that has been a lot easier to deal with, the problem there is feeling the guilt and heartbreak of not being able to be a proper father to my own children. I missed out on so much, and whenever I think of them, I always well up and shed a tear for them. I think there's a lot of scars in me that just won't fully heal, its a fact of life I've accepted now, and I have managed to move on as best as I can. I have a cousellor on hand should I need one, who's always said call him if I need to. He's a good chap and got me through so many hard times, I thankful that he is there in case I need him.

As for my medical probs, my Sigmoidoscopy showed some polyps, but also revealed inflammation and signs of bleeding from my colon. The consultant said that the inflammation is probably the reason why I have been feeling unwell of late, although he couldn't tell me why I was getting inflammation. He took a biopsy, which I should have results for soon, but also booked me in for a full colonoscopy, and I am due an endoscopy some time in the future as well. So I'm a step closer to finding out whats wrong, but after 6 months of being like this, I was hoping I'd be a lot closer to finding out what is causing all my probs than I am right now.

I do hope you get better soon, or at least get the answers that you deserve. Thank you again for your comments and help, I really appreciate it. Good luck and best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Paul, i just stumbled on this thread and your symptoms are very similar to mine. I am wondering how you are getting on now? I hope you are doing well. Looking forward to hearing an update.
    • Posted

Hi Lily

Nice to hear from you, and I am so sorry you have to go through similar symptoms to me, its no fun I know, and I do hope this thread can help in some way. What are your symptoms? Have you managed to see a doctor about it? My main advice is get into the doctor as soon as posssible if you haven't already, depending on where you are from, it can take a long time to get the investigation and treatment you need, so get that ball rolling so you aren't having to experience the delays I have.

I've been very poorly lately with a chest infection, but before I got this, my symptoms were pretty much in control and I am putting that down to the combination of Omeprazole and Colofac. I did have a flare up day yesterday, which left me with these sharp, sore, tender, tight pains mainly around my lower abdomen. My stomach doesn't give me as much grief as it used to, although it can still flare up occasionally, its my lower abdomen that causes most of the trouble, and the pains, as I described earlier, can be located anywhere around this area. I used a hot water bottle on my abdomen last night for the first time, and I have to say it really did help. I woke this morning after a good nights sleep, with no pain anywhere around my abdomen, I only have the pain and discomfort from the chest infection.

As for any updates, the next one will be the restest of my bloods that I had taken last week. However I have a feeling that these will be inconclusive as I had the chest infection at the same time my blood was taken, unless they are testing for something specific. I wasn't given any indication why my blood had to be retested, but I should have these results on Tuesday, and I will update this discussion with any findings. After that it'll be my Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy in a week and a bit, and I'm really hoping I get some answers then.

Make sure you look after yourself and please do share any information you have that you feel could be relevant, it all helps.

All the best.

• Posted

HI Paul!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am happy to hear you are doing better!

I have been dealing with abdominal pain since the end of January. I went to the emergency and they thought it was just acid reflux, so they gave me PPI pills to take. They worked for the first week, then didn't.... It's a long story and would require a lot of reading, so I will just sum it up by saying, I have right sided abdominal pain along my ribs about an hour or so after eating. I also have pain right under my breastbone. I also have an all over tenderness, pale stools on occassion (but not REALLY pale). My pain is long lasting and sometimes goes into my back. I usually wake up feeling okay, but as the day goes on and as I eat more, I get more pain. Since January I have only had 4 good days of no real pain. I can't for the life of me even figure out what made those days good as far as food goes etc. They were just regular days.

I have had bloodwork, and ultrasound (said my gallbladder etc was normal in appearence). I had a barium swallow and that appeared normal. I had an EKG of my heart and it was normal. I did a stool sample for parasites, normal. A regular abdominal x-ray, normal. That's it. I'm NORMAL LOL! But in SO MUCH PAIN! I am going to see a gastro doctor in June, so I am looking forward to that. I will let you know how it goes. Hope you keep improving!

• Posted

I would like to add that I have been taking the PPI pantoprazole magnesium (tecta here in Canada) for the last couple of months and I do find it has helped with the pain I had up high in the breast bone area. It also seemed to help with the extreme pressure I was feeling in my stomach. It doesn't seem to help with the lower right side pain though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.