What's going on with my knee?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I dislocated my right knee about 7 years ago now, I fell on my kitchen floor and had to wait about an hour for an ambulance to turn up, when they did they tried and better tried to put it back into position it wasn't until they got me into the ambulance ( sat upright on a wheelchair still out of position) that they got it back in. I spent 6 weeks in a splint and had numerous physio sessions afterwards.

Last year I trained and did a couch to 5K run which I never thought was possible for me to ever run again, and since then my knee has gradually got worse. I went to the doctor who sent me for an X-ray. The outcome was arthritis or the start of it. Now it's got worse not necessarily the pain but I've a lump of scar tissue on the side of my knee, if you put your hand on my knee and I bend it it grinds and I've a pinging of a rubber band sensation behind my knee. Stairs are a nightmare going up and down and bending down is becoming a problem and getting up is worse. It's now waking me up in the night too.

I'm contemplating paying to see a specialist???

Can anyone help???

I'm only 42 😢

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

  • Posted

    Specialist and MRI is best bet see what's going on. Continuing to walk on it can make it much worse if there's something torn in there.

  • Posted

    Immediate appointment with an orthopedic SURGEON.  The imaging may be inconclusive so don't be disappointed (I had it happen 4 times).  The surgeon may want to "scope" the knee.  This is a good thing (I had two each side).  Cleans everything out and gets you back on your feet; short recovery time...like a week or two (I was way less than that).  If the doc finds something more severe (like a torn meniscus) they can fix that too.

    If they discover a more serious situation, you may need a replacement, but that's probably doubtful at this point.  And even if you did, you could put that off for many years with SynVisc injections about once a year.  Put my TKR off for over a decade.  Plus, at 42, you do NOT want a replacement that will last only 25 years...so put that waaaaay out of your mind as there are alternatives.

    In the meantime, get some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Great topical anti-inflammatory...works in 15 minutes...especially great at bedtime.

    So...  Orthopedic surgeon...NOW!

    • Posted

      So true. MRI showed my tear. Not all the other things a had going on. Doc actually got nasty with me for waiting to long. Made his job harder. Got synvisc injection number 2 Wednesday. Last one next week. I get them every 6 months.
    • Posted

      Brilliant advise for this thank you. I think when I've been told it's arthritis after one simple X-ray you just think ok I just need to get on with it, but I'm sure there is something else going on in there.

      This has made my mind up to find and make an appointment with a consultant TODAY.

      Much appreciated everyone

  • Posted

    Oh you poor thing, I can totally sympathize.  I spent the whole of my teenage years dislocating my patella and my 1st surgery was when i was 19.  Im now 7 weeks post op of a Revised TKR and 45 years old. (Yes this is classed as my second replacement as I had a Patello Femoral Replacement removed which I had done at 38). My consultant has said that I can only have three on this knee so I have to make this last a long long time. Believe me you dont want to end up down this route so I would suggest you make an urgent appointment to see an ortho specialist.  Stay positive as lots can be done before a replacement is considered, especially at our age, unfortunatley I had no choice.  Good luck to you and I hope you get it sorted real soon xx
    • Posted

      Thank you for some brilliant advice, gosh you poor thing, you've had it bad, I wish you luck in the future. It's on my list today after all the advice I've been given xx

  • Posted

    Hi Suzanne,

    Yes you should see a specialist in Orthopaedics & Trauma to get proper advice.

    Are you in the U.K.? If so ask your GP for referral to the orthopods, with a diagnosis of arthritis & the problems you're experiencing, you definitely need to see them. Private would get you seen sooner, but with Choose & Book you can book your own appt for whenever it suits you, with the specialist who has the shortest waiting time.

    I hope you get somewhere soon.

    Good luck



    • Posted

      I am in the U.K. Marilyn yes, I have private health but took out the policy years after my accident so I am going to pay to be seen quicker.

      Thank you x

    • Posted

      I wish you well Suzanne. Hope you get seen soon & get some answers.

      Take care



Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.