What's good for pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm hoping that the stone in my kidney never passes, but want to be prepared if it does. Dr. gave me Flomax, which will hopefully help it pass more easily, but when I look up various pain pills I can't find a thing that's compatible with the Flomax!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I need to add that I also take the blood thinner Plavix, which complicates med interactions even further.
  • Posted

I've taken Flomax and a several types of pain killers when I have kidney stones, so benefit of relief definitely outweighs the risk of interaction in my opinion. 

• Posted

Thanks Kaitlyn! Do you have a preferred pain killers? Do you feel that the Flomax and pain killers help a lot?
    • Posted

The Flomax as I was told is mostly to help the stone pass through more easily by dilating the ureter and urethra. I took it daily until the stones have passed. Pain with kidney stones vary. Sometimes I go to the hospital and get intravenous pain meds like dilaudid or fentanyl. Those were with the very worst. Sometimes I have a prescription for Percocet or dilaudid for home. I'm in the States (don't know about you) so going to the ER for pain meds is something I only do if the pain is excruciating. Usually, Percocet helps enough. Intravenous meds work the best and fastest though if you need to go to the hospital.

• Posted

Wish I could get some good pain meds.  For chronic pain.  My insurance won't let me get hydrocodone without try physical therapy first.  Let me know if anyone wants to sell me some.  I had a lot of surgeries to repair my right ureter and remove stones.  Still have pain but no new prescriptions 

• Posted

If your insurance won't cover it until you do physical therapy, why not do physical therapy? PT is difficult, but can really help people. Even if it doesn't help you, try it so you can get medication covered. 

• Posted

If your stone does not pass then either it stays in your kidney for ever or it is removed surgically or by blasting it.

Surely both of those options are worse than passing the stone aren't they?

So why do you not want it to pass?

I wish I could pass mine instead of having to go through surgery to remove it!

Sarah

• Posted

You have a point. I hate living in fear that I can't travel or go anywhere because it may start moving and cause that unbearable pain and vomiting that I remember from last time!

• Posted

Not all of mine have been excruciating, but I was scared of that too. My ureters are scarred up now, so the pain isn't as bad. Plus every stone is different in how they present, at least for me. But Sarah is right; passing them is the best option.

• Posted

The stone can move without you passing it. I think this is what is happening to me.

I am afraid to go anywhere very far in case the pain starts again so I just want the blasted thing got rid of. You mentioned a last time,have you had kidney stones before or what do you mean?

Sarah

• Posted

A friend told me the other day that Robinsons Lemon Barley Water is good for kidney stones. They were given this advice when her husband had kidney stones about 3 years ago. I will try and get some tomorrow.

Sarah

• Posted

Dr told me that real lemonade is good. My biggest problem is that I rarely drink! Yes, I've had 2 in the past, but didn't know it until they started moving. This time a CT scan spotted one in the upper left kidney. Thought maybe I could get advice on how to just stay home this time and deal with the pain once it starts moving, but I'm thinking going to the ER will eliminate the pain the quickest.

• Posted

Wouldn't you rather get rid of the pain or don't you have much pain.  I have a large one in my right kidney and I don't really have a lot of pain but it's just uncomfortable at times.  I wish it was gone but I know it will not pass.  

• Posted

I don't have any pain right now. Dr says the pain won't start til the stone leaves the kidney and starts traveling down the ureters. That's why I feel like a ticking time bomb and am cancelling all upcoming events and vacation plans. :-(

• Posted

My stone is still in the kidney but I am still having pain.

Sarah

• Posted

Oh dear. My Dr. Must be wrong about that then. That's not very reassuring...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.