what's happening?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had intermittent pain in right side for one month. Dr gave mebeverine no improvement.  This week have had terrible bouts of cramping then when I went to toilet there was just lumps of gel.  Have sent off sample but really worried about it, can any one off advice/ help please?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

When you say gel I guess this is the mucus which we all have to help us go. But you don't normally see. Could be ibs or infection or even a good intolerance. Ask for a blood test to show your ESR inflammatory markers

• Posted

Hi, yes it was thick mucous horrible!  I had a blood test done 1 month ago and results were clear.  But surely this indicates something is not right?
  • Posted

Hi Amber, don't know what your stool test was for , but if it wasn't for calprotectin, ask for that to be tested. it measures if there is any inflammation in the small or large bowel, & is helpful in determining what may need doing next. it helps differentiate between irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease. x

• Posted

Thanks I'll ask what it was they tested for when I gets results back

• Posted

Does your pain move about and do you get changes in bowel habit?  If so, it might be IBS if you are passing mucus.  I was given Mebeverine which made my symptoms worse.  Perhaps ask for an ultrasound and colonoscopy to rule out other causes.
    • Posted

Pippa no the pain has been pretty much the same area I will have to wait for my results before they will decide next step meanwhile can't help worrying

• Posted

If you are worried, ask your doctor if he/she has any suggestions about what could be wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.