What's happening?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Nine days ago I awoke in the night with stomach pains. Over the next few days this progressed to nausea then severe gut pain. The severe gut pain at no point led to diarrhoea, which it normally would. On the second day I started to sleep for hours at a time during the day. This sleepiness has continued most days since. 

Last evening I had yet another episode of the VERY severe gut pain, went into shock (manifested with total pallor and sweating), then I vomited. I then slept for several hours. When I woke I started to have a rigour but did not have a raised temperature. I was shivering like crazy, my jaw was locked and then I noticed (for the first time ever) that my fingers were white....they looked dead.

Today I have slept all day. I feel like I have a fever but I don't. I haven't eaten much for several days.

We had a Locum doctor come to our home today. Apart from finding non specific things like my BP being low and heart rate fast (possible dehydration), my oxygen saturations were 90% and my bowel sounds were rapid, nothing pointed to any particular thing.

On his summary sheet for provisional diagnosis he wrote "? Worsening of Sjögren's Syndrome. CRTI/inflammatory bowel disease".

Looks like he has written CRTI but I don't know what that could stand for so it could be URTI (Upper Respiratory Tract Infection). .....but am mystified why severe GI pain would make him think of an URTI!!

Has anyone had this cluster of symptoms?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

LRTI most likely is what he meant - SpO2 of 90 would make you think that.

How old are you? Do you have any other long term conditions apart from SS? Are you taking any meds?

Is your tummy distended? This sounds like gastroenteritis and its the right season. Hopefully it will get better on its own.

• Posted

Thanks Ben.

Yes I have bilateral cylindrical dry bronchiectasis and my SpO2’s are usually 92-94% when I am well and around 86% when I have a chest infection. I must admit I have been coughing up more plugs this past couple of weeks....but why no temperature if I have a LRTI? 

No abdo distention, no guarding present. Only mild RIF tenderness. If it was Gastroenteritis why no repeated episodes of diarrhoea or vomiting? Pain has been very bad. 

Any meds I am on are now longterm - none recently added.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.