what’s is Normal tsh and ft4?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease and had read high ft4 and low tsh. Been on medication for over a year and it’s gradually come down but my latest results are tsh 1.4 which is lower than result few months back but ft4 has dropped to 11.4, so looks like tsh going more towards overactive again but ft4 towards underactive? Is this a correct interpretation? Should I reduce my medication if it’s looking like going underactive? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

While results are similar from lab to lab, they do differ slightly.  So you need to get a printed copy of your lab results and post them along with the ranges for normal in brackets beside your results.  Your TSH would be considered at an ideal level in my lab.  My TSH has varied a lot since I was diagnosed and got into remission from 0.70 to 2.25 but as long as it remains in the normal range, I don't care about the variation.  I like it around 1.00 to 1.5.   I usually take supplements to raise it if I feel it is headed too low.

• Posted

Thanks. The range is 1 to 4 for tsh and 10 to 20 ft4 but I’m not sure what optimal level with range is? I’ve felt really bad before when just slight change. This is lowest my ft4 ever been and I’m struggling to lose weight so wondered if going under active 
    • Posted

What supplements do you take Linda? 
    • Posted

While normal levels vary from lab to lab, I have never heard of any lab whose bottom of normal range is 1.0.  I always discussed meds dosage with my doc when the need arose and he adjusted my meds if necessary based on my lab results.  Why don't you call your doctor about adjusting your meds dosage?  

The supplements I take all the time are vitamin D3, 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day, Magnesium 200 mg per day and Regular L-Carnitine.  The carnitine dosage varies depending on my results.  If my TSH is too low, I take 500 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine along with my meds until my labs normalize, then I switch to 500 mg of Regular L-Carnitine if necessary and sometimes will discontinue the Carnitine altogether.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.