What's it like after a total hysterectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies!

I was wondering what it is like after having your uterus and both ovaries removed? Do you still experience the same symptoms associated with menopause afterwards or do the symptoms subside once the ovaries are not there to produce those hormones anymore? I have only one ovary and still my uterus. Last year after a pelvic sonogram and a trans-vaginal scan they found that I have one fibroid on the exterior of my uterus and multiple others internally within the uterus. If necessary I am considering a hysterectomy. I have to go for another pelvic sonogram/transvaginal scan this week to see what my uterus is up to these days; if those fibroids are any larger or what. My last period which ended two days ago was the worst one to date. I had such terrible gas and bloating and bad lower backache. I bled more heavily this time than I have ever done before and I thought to myself if this is a result of those fibroids, I will definitely be opting for a hysterectomy because I do not want to bleed heavily like that every month until I finally go into menopause. Just wondering from those of you who have had a complete hysterectomy, do you still get the menopause symptoms afterwards. Are they any better or are they worse?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a hysterectomy and did not experience any menopause stuff until 4 years after. Then I got the lot and it's still going strong. I don't know if anyone else is similar.
  • Posted

I had a total hysterectomy at 25...im now 27 and my menopause started within a week or two..hot flashes..mood swings and yea...was not happy...its died down a bit and dont get hot flashes as much but otherwise its basically the same as natural menopause.....but without cramps
  • Posted

Hi Sharcev,

Consider it, best thing I ever did. I have no menopaus symptoms.

I had a hysterectomy almost 4 years ago (I'm 43). I have both of my ovaries, everything else is gone. Best thing I ever did in my life, did I alreay mention that? lol LIke you, I had non-stop AWFUL periouds. I had them my entire life. Fibroids diagnosed at 14 years old. ER visits from the extremly heavy periods, endless tests, a small fortune on femanine hygene products. 

I was diagnosed with the worst fibrioids I ever had, grapefruit sized and then my periouds would not stop!  I think they call what I had a "Sub-Total hysterectomy as I still have both my ovaries.

The surgery was laprascopic, it took me about 3-4 months to feel pretty normal, but I am also a Diabetic and heal slower. But it does take longer to heal than they estimate, that I can tell you.

I had one hot flashes the first night after surgery, but was gone after that. Truly, I can not be happier.  Highly recommended! 

• Posted

I'm definitely considering having one done. I have suffered all my menstruating life with heavy bleeding, bloating, gas, loose stool, constipation, etc. Now the peri symptoms keep getting worse and I don't know how much I can take.
    • Posted

I completely relate to what you are going through. It was worth the surgery for me because I really had no quality of life. I had non-stop periods that were beyond horrible and it was 3 weeks out of the month. Pretty much what you are going through.

Do check out that info I gave u. GREAT source.

• Posted

PS. Google hyster sister

(Good support website and GREAT people. Invaluable to me when I was in your position.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.