What's rectal prostate ultrasound for ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys, just had a rectal ultrasound today. Other than telling me that my prostate is 60mg, my urologist did not say anything else. Just wonder if one can see any prostate problems like tumors or cancer with this method.

Also, I asked for a 3T MRI but the doc said it's for cancer detection only, and suggested cystoscopy and urodynamics, with flexible cystoscope. I probably won't take on his offer, concerning about urethra injury and/or UTI.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Apart from estimating overall size the Ultrasound can detect irregular shapes including part of the bladder. My Uro found my median lobe intruding into my bladder and that my bladder was greatly enlarged thru prostate restricted urine flow

• Posted

Strange! When I asked if I have median lobe, my uro said that I need cystoscopy for that. Thanks.

• Edited

Cystoscopy is well worth having and quite safe.

• Posted

You had 3 procedures so cystoscopy is nothing to you, but it has its risks that I am not sure I am ready to take yet. Thanks.

• Posted

So how else will you get a definite diagnosis ?

• Posted

Anything non invasive, 3T MRI hopefully. I am such a chicken.

• Edited

The day will come when you will need a procedure and earlier ones are easier and have better outcomes than ones left too late. As you have read many times on this forum. A quick cystoscopy is surely preferable to the time spent in the confines of an MRI unit.

• Posted

Derek,

I had a cysto a year ago and got a bad UTI and bleeding for several days. I will not do that again. My uro said he would not consider moving forward with any prostate reducation procedure without doing the cysto. To treat the UTI I took cipro - will not take that again. I may have gotten a reaction to that powerful antibiotic. It worked fast, but may have effected my central nervous system.

Tom

• Posted

It has affected mine as well and I now have Fluoroquinolone Toxity Syndrome.

Doctors in America were warned in a letter from Bayer some years ago not to prescribe it for UTI's. and non life threatening conditions. European pharmacists and doctors have now been warned by the EMA and the patient information leaflets are about to be updated by the MHRA. Miriam has posted many warnings on this and other Forums of the dangers of Cipro and Fluoroquinolones. There are other drugs for UTI's

• Posted

Derek,

I learned about the Cipro dangers on this forum - too late, because I had been taking the tablets for 10 days. Then, I read the warning from Bayer!!! Since then I have had a variety of "mystery" symptoms - lack of energy, central nervous system issues (jittery), not feeling quite like myself. Doctors are mystified. Symptoms improving but it's been almost a year. I had taken cipro in the past, but apparently the effects are cumulative, so this time it may have finally effected me.

Tom

• Posted

I went through the transrectal ultrasound procedure, just to have my urologist tell me that the results aren't accurate enough for it to be a good estimate of prostate size.

And I also had a cystoscopy; the pain urinating for the next 3 days was just off the charts. I mean, like having to scream out loud pain. It felt like someone was dragging barbed wire through my urethra. They gave me some pill that is supposedly like a "pepto bismol" for your bladder, which turns your urine a neon orange color. If that did help, then I can't imagine how high the pain level would've been without taking it.

• Posted

Thanks Steve. I am sure now not going to get that cystoscopy. 😀

• Posted

I had one many years ago when they used a rigid scope about as thick as a walking stick and i did not have pain like that. The only problem with that one was stinging on the head of my penis from the wipe they used on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.