What's the best 'natural' thing for sleep???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anybody got any ideas on the best things to take for bad insomnia. Anything but prescription drugs please. I've heard serotonin could help,.......any thoughts???

Thanks in advance guys xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Some drugs can cause insomnia so if you have taken any drugs prescribed or otherwise then I would check the side effects.

I thouht tht serotonin was a prescribed drug but could be wrong.

Insomnia can be due to anxxiety  and Mindfullness, Talking Therapies relaxation techniques may be very useful.

Take care

• Posted

Kez I have su a PM with a link to Serotonin and Insomnia.  do not know anything about sertonin I am afraid.

You may wish to google Sleep Hyjiene too. This is very helpful.

Take care

Amy

• Posted

They say milk at bed time.Once you have insomnia no natural remedy works.
    • Posted

This is most likely correct as I've been trying for a long time to cure mine and nothing seems to work.

I've recently been trying a few different things:

Magnesium Glysinate

GABA

L-Tryptophan

Holy Basil

5HTP

I've noticed that my number of sleepless nights have reduced ever so slightly (from 5 and week to 4) but I'm still messing around with different combinations and dosages.

• Posted

Hi Lee,

I am sorry you are facing sleep problems.

I can understand the pain you are going through.

In my case,

I was ignorant of risperidone tapper.Ever since I stopped risperidone cold turkey,my brain started going into dream condition when ever I attempt to sleep.

Iam using olanzapine 5 mg for sleep.

Every day morning I am waking up with a dream.But with very less intensity.

I am not even remembering or ruminating on the dream.

I am getting 8 hours peaceful sleep.

I heard benzos will leave next day drowsy and groggy.

So I am away from benzos.

• Posted

L-Tryptophan and 5HTP converts into serotonin some time after being consumed. Don't take too much though as you can develop Serotonin syndrome which is meant to be horrific.

• Posted

I heard of a herb called Valerian for sleep, you can get it in capsule or tea form
    • Posted

I had a sleep home study test done now I have to have an in depth one in hospital. Personally  I think that anyone with insomnia should ask their dr for s sleep study. Insomnia is classified as a sleep disorder.

​Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.