What's the best way of diagnosing PE?

Posted , 4 users are following.

According to my research, VQ scan, chest CT scan with contast and CT Pulmonary Angiogram can detect PEs. What is the best way of diagnosing them? Are chest CT scan w/ contrast and CT Pulmonary Angiogram the same? Which of them are cheaper? Can they diagnose very small PE? Help pls answer my questions.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have always had a CT scan with contrast. I was told it's the best way. However I have also had an MRI to avoid the radiation.

• Posted

The micro PEs are best detected with a VQ scan. CT with contrast I think is better out of the CTs. If you live in the UK I don’t think MRI is available yet. VQ is not as unpleasant in my personal experience and I assume it is more accurate.  I got the VQ on the NHS so I don’t know how much it costs privately but I think the CT with contrast was about £450. Obviously I can’t comment on how much it costs outside of the UK.

• Posted

Mine were diagnosed by my doctors PE who had been seeing me but I had also been treated for bronchitis for a couple of weeks because I went to an urgent care doctor and she put me on antibiotic it didn't work and put me on another and it didn't work so I went to my regular doctor and as I used his PE, I had an x-ray and it came back clear and she called me in and by then my heart rate was 118 and my blood pressure was up and she listened to my chest and said you do not have bronchitis you have a blood clot. She then called the hospital and told him to expect me and to do a CT scan with contrast and I went over and they took me immediately and I did not put my foot down again for 9 days because I had two PEs with clots in both lungs and a DVT and my groin. I am doing well but still on coumadin and also had a procedure on my leg because they found out that my clots were coming from a pocket of blood where my vein in my leg was not closing off. 21 months ago my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.